"Untitled" appears after SEO title edit

Site URL: https://clivedouglasmediation.co.uk/

Site URL: http://clivedouglas.com

I have moved this from the "Page and Content" topic thread on this forum, as I reckon that it's more likely to find someone who knows what's causing this…

I am developing a website for a client, who has used "an SEO consultant" (sic). For some reason, after the SEO title has been entered (by the consultant), the word "Untitled" now appears.

I can't see where this is coming from or why. I have included a couple of screen shots to show how it's appearing, as well as the form panel. It's obvious that the "consultant" doesn't know much about Squarespace, but there's not much I can do to wrest this away from him, so it's my problem to solve, it seems.

Thoughts, suggestions, solutions? Thanks in advance!

SEO - About Mediation tab bar.jpeg

SEO - About Mediation.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! This should be an easy fix. 

1. Go to Design > Logo and Title
  2. I believe the first field there is "Site Title" and this is where it is pulling from.

I'm guessing you are using Squarespace 7.1?  I have a couple of clients using it and there must be a bug where occasionally this field decides to erase itself. Keep an eye on this as you make changes to the site as this will likely happen again. 

Yes, thanks so much, modsquare. I had just got off a chat with Squarespace tech support who had told me what you've just said, so gold star for accuracy and thanks for taking the time.

And yes, you're right about erasing the site title. Editing the SEO description by navigating to the SEO panel causes it. Going in through the Marketing>SEO is the preferred way, according to Squarespace. I discovered this because the SEO consultant kept erasing the site title and leaving the website Untitled. He didn't seem to think it was that significant....

5 hours ago, modsquare said:

Hello! This should be an easy fix. 

1. Go to Design > Logo and Title
  2. I believe the first field there is "Site Title" and this is where it is pulling from.

I'm guessing you are using Squarespace 7.1?  I have a couple of clients using it and there must be a bug where occasionally this field decides to erase itself. Keep an eye on this as you make changes to the site as this will likely happen again. 

Amen. Same issue, same resolution as you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just went through all of my settings and tabs...same story here - Funny thing that like 2 weeks ago it was normal, and now it is still untitled no matter what I changed.

Vexing a bit tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

I must be on a different version as the above fix doesn't exist - There's no logo and image section. However, for anyone else encountering the same problem, you need to go to

Home> Marketing> SEO > Click on 'pages'

Then delete the following from the SEO title format:

- %S

This will permanently remove all of the end tags from you pages so make sure it hasn't affected any of your other pages in a way you don't want.

I hope this helps!

Archived