Showing time zone on event pages?

These days a lot of events are virtual. When I create an event page in Squarespace, it displays the local time in my time zone for all visitors, regardless of their time zone. Worse, it doesn't even tell visitors what my time zone is!

If the time is displayed with no time zone, users are likely to assume it's being "smart" and showing things in their own time zone. Even if they figure out that's not the case, many users don't know my time zone. Worse still, I'm creating a virtual event that's co-hosted by someone in New York and someone in California, so even if users know that, there's no way for them to even begin to guess what time zone I mean for the event to be in!

Virtual events should always, always, always list their time zone. How can I do this on a Squarespace events page?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I chatted with customer support about this today with no new insights.

Currently, as a workaround, I think I'm going to switch to setting up my events as blog posts. I'll set the event date as the publish date but still publish the "blog post" well in advance of the event. (For instance, I can publish an event's "blog post" today with the supposed publication date of Sept. 20, so Sept. 20 will appear as the date below the event/"blog post" title. Then I'll just manually create Google Calendar links and add those, and type in the time, timezone, and the fact that it's virtual near the top of the "blog post." It's not a great solution, but it's the best workaround I've come up with. Since blogs, like events, are collections, this will still allow me to have "blog post" events feed into summary blocks elsewhere on my site. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived