Having customers upload a document in Commerce site?

I am offering proofreading services on my website. How would I go about having customers upload a Word document or PDF upon checkout? 

For example, I am offering proofreading/editing of resumes. Cost: $50. 

The customer will select that option, and then at checkout would need to upload their resume and provide their email address. I'd receive their resume, edit it, and then email it back to them.

(My main concern with having people simply email their resumes to me is that I'd be accepting a number of attachments from unknown sources. Sort of a recipe for disaster/malware.)

Thanks in advance

• Replies 4
  • Views 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bree said:

My main concern with having people simply email their resumes to me is that I'd be accepting a number of attachments from unknown sources. Sort of a recipe for disaster/malware

And that's why Squarespace don't include a feature that allows this.

You could achieve this with code, but a safer alternative may be to ask them to reply to the order confirmation email. If they include their document(s) as attachments to the email and you are using a cloud-hosted email service (like Gmail) then the email service will carry out a scan on the attachments before they are downloaded.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul, thank you for your advice. Do you happen to know if it's possible for customers to automatically receive an email (from a designated email address of my choosing)?

For example:

1. Customer selects option: resume proofreading services

2. Customer fills out auto-form (which asks for their email address)

3. Customer makes purchase

4. Upon completion of purchase, customer receives automatic email sent to the email address they provided. This email comes from my designated email address, and asks them to reply to the email with their .doc or PDF document.

5. Customer replies to email, attaches PDF or .doc, sends to me.

6. I receive email. Instead of downloading, I "open in Google Drive." I make edits, then email back to them. Thus I do not have to risk downloading any malware.

I am having trouble figuring out how to make Step 4 happen.

Thanks again

On 3/29/2020 at 2:12 PM, paul2009 said:

You could achieve this with code, but a safer alternative may be to ask them to reply to the order confirmation email.

(Not sure if I have to "quote" your message to send you a notification. Just in case! Posting again below.

Hi Paul, thank you for your advice. Do you happen to know if it's possible for customers to automatically receive an email (from a designated email address of my choosing)?

For example:

1. Customer selects option: resume proofreading services

2. Customer fills out auto-form (which asks for their email address)

3. Customer makes purchase

4. Upon completion of purchase, customer receives automatic email sent to the email address they provided. This email comes from my designated email address, and asks them to reply to the email with their .doc or PDF document.

5. Customer replies to email, attaches PDF or .doc, sends to me.

6. I receive email. Instead of downloading, I "open in Google Drive." I make edits, then email back to them. Thus I do not have to risk downloading any malware.

I am having trouble figuring out how to make Step 4 happen.

Thanks again

4 hours ago, Bree said:

Do you happen to know if it's possible for customers to automatically receive an email (from a designated email address of my choosing)?

It depends what you mean by a "designated email address of my choosing".

When configuring Squarespace Commerce for a small business, you would typically add your own email address - the one where you want to receive these emails - as the Reply-To Email in Commerce > Customer Notifications. Then, if a customer replies to their Order Confirmation email, it will arrive in your inbox. That should satisfy step 4. Is this not what you are doing?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived