Minimum code for Google Analytics & Tag Manager

Hi there,I'm wondering what is the minimum code I need for Google Analytics and Tag Manager.

For speed, I would ideally defer any Java until the footer, but if I enter my account number in SQSP's native integration, do I still need the Tag manager code?

And does SQSP's GA integration parse the Java optimally, therefore I should control it myself with footer code?

I'm trying to streamline my code (especially the redundant!) so any help much appreciated.I'm currently using Google Tag to also fire AMP, hotjar and livechat, I just don't know how much code is needed with SQSP.

Many thanks.

• Replies 1
  • Views 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cue tumbleweed....

Update: I have used the built-in Google Analytics code with SQSP, and it has not effected site speed in the slightest. My Google tags still reference Google Analytics which may not be required, but I am able to put all the Google code for tag manager in the footer, which improves immediate page load speed.My next step is an audit of Google Tags to ensure there is no redundancy, and see if this shortens the request time of Google.

Ironic that NOT using Google analytics significantly increases my Google ranking for speed!

Also, live chat adds almost 2 seconds to my page load (and undetermined Mbs) - but hey, you have to weigh up the benefit/cost.

Archived