Five: What are the EXACT DIMENSIONS for an ideal banner?

Everything I've tried, from the dimensions given in the help forum to independent websites has wound up stretched, blown up or distorted in some other way.

Can someone please just give the instructions as to what the dimensions are AND what settings to adjust (if necessary) to ensure the banner looks as it should for the template as designed?

For those of us without programming skills, we count on ease of use and/or clear instructions to make our sites look like they should. Though there is a learning curve, this type of frustration is why we come to Squarespace rather than getting a PhD to use WordPress or looking like a schmuck on a Weebly site.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Views 82.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I found the site width, changed my banner image size to match and unchecked the stretch image (Brilliant to have those things in Completely different places btw!). My banner image is still way too big! No one will write, "The optimum width and height is X," because it implies that Squarespace is limited.

• 10 months later...

Within Squarespace, they recommend that your images be at least 1500px wide in order to retain the best quality of your image when uploading it to the banner.

With that said, exact dimensions aren't always the answer here as Squarespace's templates are responsive, and all Banners will experience some cropping depending upon the screen size you view your site on.

However, when asked for exact dimensions, they do recommend 1500px by 1000px as a good rule of thumb.

Additionally, they have a couple of guides you can review when it comes to formatting your images for your Squarespace Site. The first is their Image Format guide here:

http://help.squarespace.com/guides/how-should-i-format-my-images-for-display-on-the-web

As well as their guide here on how to specifically format images for Banner Areas on your site:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/223016508-Formatting-background-and-banner-images-for-responsive-design

• 5 months later...

Archived