REGRET HAVING MY DOMAINS TRANSFERRED FROM GOOGLE TO SQUARESPACE

No receipt when credit card is automatically charged when domain auto-renews - While I receive an email stating that one of my domains "will auto-renew in 15 days" ... I do NOT receive an email notification/invoice/receipt when my credit card is actually charged (as Google Domains always did). That's a problem. Especially, when you have lots of domains to track. 

No Support - When I try to contact support it says they are busy but email support is available 24x7. But when I try to create an email on the "Contact Customer Support" page, the page goes into "gathering resources" mode for a few seconds and then flops back to the Contact Customer Support page. That same thing happens when I click the "LOGIN" link in the upper right corner. I have tried with multiple browsers. 

WRESTLING WITH THIS AND VERYING THE ABOVE HAS BEEN A HUGE WASTE OF MY TIME. AND NOW I NEED TO WASTE MORE TIME FINDING A COMPETENT DOMAIN REGISTRAR AND TRANSFERRING ALL OF MY DOMAINS. VERY AGGRAVATING.

Second that opinion. I am not happy with SquareSpace managing critical domains. I am still waiting after days for the first of a number of domains to transfer to LAYERSHIFT where I maintain my custom environments.  There seems to be no way of tracking the transfer. Next job (apparent from other pressures) is to build an automation script for transferring my full set of domains. Bad move on part of Google to divest their responsibilities.

Edited by UKDEV
  • 2 weeks later...

100%. Same situation, tons of domains and no email when charged, plus I can't find a list of account wide invoices like google had... you basically have to figure out what renewed and then drill down to domain level and find the invoice. takes me an hour every time and took 1 minute in google. also, no one is ever on chat, and emails don't get responded too. if anyone finds a way to speed this process up, please post it... while I find another registrar.

• 1 month later...

1000% - Two Google Domain accounts moved, should have never taken that move, should have gone ANYWHERE else! They are currently holding one of those accounts hostage. Can't access my one account with 4 domains in it, one that is complete down after a botched merge between the two respective Google Workspace accounts and their convoluted instructions on how to merge the two accounts don't work, you have to jump through hoops, and it still doesn't work. After finally getting connected to support, they ended up "escalating" my case, but in the I.T world where I come from, escalation also typically means higher priority. Not in their case. Now it's gone from hours for support to day 3 and NO RESPONSE from the escalation team. Do I need a lawyer? My business is down because of this!  Not at all happy.

I don't know what the .... Google was thinking selling out to this company! I think we should all ban together in a class action against Squarespace. Here's my last email to customer services.

I have not been able to access my account for several days!! This is hampering my business in a MASSIVE WAY! 

This case was supposed to be ESCALATED to a priority team, really? That was 3 days ago. Squarespace's lack of support is going to result in an IMMEDIATE lawsuit for irreparable damages to my company if this issue is not resolved by Monday, 2 September, 2024 at noon.  The lack of response is appalling.

Consider this an official warning.

I am remaining partly with Squarespace and a few domains since there might be potential later with learning templates.  But I am breaking the padlock and over time transferring part domains portfolio held to an agile Registrar LAYERSHIFT although their control panel has fewer features. As a solo developer I value human support not chatbots (although I do resort to my own AI helper). When trying to track down one domain lost in the transfer of Google Domains to Squarespace I offered proof of ownership and ended up receiving Squarespace support mails first from Australia and then Hawaii. I kid you not. Domain is still in a black hole not showing on my panel. Another lesson learned is not to put all your eggs in one basket. Registrar (dual), hosting (dual), DNS, certificates (dual), email, CDN. I have created my own mix. For example deSEC.io as name server.  ZeroSSL for SSL certificates.  ZoneEdit another. The transfer out of Squarespace in now well oiled and workflow honed but takes up to 5 days per domain. Four transferred so far.

My interest is analysing failure in processes and Google-Squarespace presents a good test case. again - don't keep all your eggs in one basket. Orchestrate.

I don't think that paying fat fees to lawyers is the answer. My in birth business communications MX forwarding (previously via Mailgun) was also broken end of June due to this unforeseen chain of events. Simply create more publicity of failings and give your views to regulators such as Nominet etc. Founders unite.

David and Goliath problem. Not a lawsuit. This would be my line of attack. Falling  Shareholder value due to poor customer comments (here).

Some of Squarespace's top shareholders include: 

• Accel Partners LLC: Held 16.18% of shares
  • Wellington Trust Co., NA: Held 13.56% of shares 
  • General Atlantic LLC: A major shareholder 
  • The Vanguard Group, Inc. A top shareholder 
  • BlackRock, Inc. A top shareholder 
  • State Street Global Advisors, Inc. A top shareholder 
  • Balyasny Asset Management L.P.: A top shareholder 
  • Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. A top shareholder 
In May 2024, Squarespace agreed to be acquired by Permira, a British private equity firm, for $6.9 billion in an all-cash deal. The deal was approved by major shareholders, CEO Anthony Casalena, and was financed with help from Ares and Blackstone. 

• 5 weeks later...

I also do not have access to the additional domains that were supposed to be transferred to Squarespace. 

Does anyone know how to rectify this issue? I am still waiting for a actual response from Squarespace after 2 days.

I do believe a class action suit would be helpful. As this issue is causing a hinderance to many businesses. 

I found this where you can vent your frustration but I don't think it will help.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.squarespace.com

Class actions are fodder for lawyers.

You can write .. yes write in this day and age .. to

Squarespace Inc.

CEO Anthony Casalena

Headquarters 225 Varick Street New York City, New York, United States

Recently I subscribed to a system to post physical letters from desktop. Might try it to write to CEO.