How to fix CLS issues on Squarespace

Hello,

As you can see from the attached screenshot, in Google Search Console there is a 'CLS issue: more than 0.25 (Desktop)' warning.
This occurs for over 300 pages. Two examples are shown in the second screenshot attached.

Any idea how to correct this? I am trying to improve the SEO for the site.

Core-Web-Vitals (1).png

Crawled page errors 1.JPG

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a possibility that the pop-up you have for subscribing is affecting the metrics? It caused a big glitch when I visited the site and this will translate to a layout shift.

I get errors about multiple H1s, and slow page load warnings from Google Lighthouse, and other tools, when I have promotional popups and cookies enabled. Since we don't have a lot of traffic to our site at night, I temporarily turn off those items and run my crawls and metrics. It has a major impact on my results. I hope this points you in the right direction.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 4:58 PM, PoochKingdom said:

Is there a possibility that the pop-up you have for subscribing is affecting the metrics? It caused a big glitch when I visited the site and this will translate to a layout shift.

I get errors about multiple H1s, and slow page load warnings from Google Lighthouse, and other tools, when I have promotional popups and cookies enabled. Since we don't have a lot of traffic to our site at night, I temporarily turn off those items and run my crawls and metrics. It has a major impact on my results. I hope this points you in the right direction.

Thanks for your answer!

That pop-up is a relatively new addition to the site.
Before it there were still 277 CLS issues and 189 LCP issues listed in Google Search Console.

Thanks for mentioning Lighthouse.  Attached is an image of the desktop results for my site, it points out that the 'large layout shift' has something to do with the top banner. 

PageSpeed-Insights (1).png

Edited by Visioninternet

Your top banner is an image that's 1920x1080 that's being cropped into the site banner at 2543x440 (on my desktop screen) <div id="#banner-area-wrapper">.

I looked at it using mobile mode and it shows the entire banner image. Is that an intentional design? Do you get the same layout shift warnings on mobile? If not (and I'm no expert on this), perhaps the image cropping is causing the layout shift warning - given you're taking 1080 and chopping the top and bottom of the image to get to 440?

• 1 month later...