Preventing Google from displaying the wrong Sitelinks

Site URL: http://www.breatheportugal.com

I searched for my project on Google and found out it is displaying the wrong sitelinks.

Instead of showing the main pages (like the ones on my top nav), it is showing two links, (one of which is just a page that belongs to an index) and they are even unavailable.

I know we cannot control what's being displayed as a sitelink, but do you have any thoughts on how we could prevent this from happening?

I thought of hiding from search engines all the pages and just keep visible the indexes that contain them. What do you think?

Thank you

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 10.36.35.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This question intrigued me and I did a bit of research. Here's a quote from Google Search Console support site:

We only show sitelinks for results when we think they'll be useful to the user. If the structure of your site doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks for your site are relevant for the user's query, we won't show them.

At the moment, sitelinks are automated. We're always working to improve our sitelinks algorithms, and we may incorporate webmaster input in the future. There are best practices you can follow, however, to improve the quality of your sitelinks. For example, for your site's internal links, make sure you use anchor text and alt text that's informative, compact, and avoids repetition.

Obviously Google's algorithm hasn't done a good job in your case, but I'd be wary of hiding pages from Google that you really don't want hidden. The last thing you want to happen is have them de-index anything important. I would just take a long-term approach and work on your internal linking, pointing more internal links to your higher-profile pages. Google will see what pages are more important to you and should follow along.

If it helps, those sitelinks only display when Google is 100% sure that the query is looking for your website. So for most searches, where someone isn't aware of you yet, these odd sitelinks would not appear to them.

Archived