Images/Icons Disappeared from Homepage - Custom CSS?

Hello All - We hired a developer to build our site. She used some custom CSS to add images over color blocks. We noticed that two of the three images are no longer showing on the homepage and we cannot figure out how to get them back! Tried using the "Inspect" feature on Chrome to compare the working vs non-working images and noticed that one of the return values for the non-working image is "=$0", while the remaining working image actually has a value. Not sure if this means anything at all. Any help at all is super appreciated. 

Website URL: https://www.scienceoffoodchoice.com/

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 3.00.33 PM.png

• Replies 5
  • Views 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Julita.

For starters, the src path for the images in question aren't valid...as in the images don't exist.

image.png.cb79b5855830b45453c6a8ab77aba116.png

Do you happen to know why these src attributes are using bit.ly links? Following one of the paths leads here, which is quite strange. I think the most obvious answer, then, is that the images don't exist anymore.

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

Hi Brandon. Thank you for the info. The Squarespace site is good through mid next year, so that's weird! Also, we haven't (and don't ever) make structural changes to the website. How do images disappear on their own? Thanks again for taking the tie to look into this and reply!

I guess I am not certain. Is there a way to check on that using the one image that is still working? Actually, since the other image is still there, and all images would presumably be in the same location, I would hope/guess the hosting website is still in good order. 

Right. What's probably happened is that, because the developer used bit.ly to point at URLs from the CDN, those URLs have probably changed, but the bit.ly redirect is still pointing to the old path. You're going to have to find the asset URLs or upload new images. See "Uploading and Managing Files" and "CSS Files". As an aside, the bit.ly images are added by inserting HTML into the title of that particular index-gallery-item. Once you upload the new image (or locate the old URL), you'll need to update the title of that index gallery item (that is, if Squarespace even allows that anymore...they may now escape HTML that is inserted in such areas). In the end, I would not have personally done it this way, but would instead favor using CSS background images, which you might consider.

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

Archived