Back up Pages panel configuration (Navigation)?

Recently I disabled dev mode after a long time (to get template updates) and didn't think much of the little warning that comes up but apparently it's serious biz as explained in https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206545717#toc-what-will-happen-if-i-disable-developer-mode- :

Content you’ll lose after disabling Developer Mode

Content added to sidebars, footers, and headers
Style changes made in Site Styles (i.e. font, color, and background changes)
Custom modifications to your template code

This includes the navigation configuration, done on the Pages panel when logged into a Squarespace site. So I had to manually reconfigure all of this, as well as the text added to sidebars, footers, and headers (as mentioned above), AND all of my site styles (configured from the Design -> Site Styles panel) as well!

I even opened a support case and they told me you can' t backup any of these things. Which is really strange since disabling dev mode rolled them all back to some previous state (years ago when I turned on dev mode), which means they were ALL backed up automatically by Squarspace...

So, does anyone know how to back up all of this, export it, or something? It's hard to believe this is not possible.

• Replies 2
  • Views 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that Squarespace restors a "backup" of your configuration so much as it executes a standard set of instructions during the restoration of a template to its original state (while attempting to save as much of your "main content" as possible), in a similar manner as what happens when one switches templates. However, I've not tested this, so I can't speak from experience.

Also, it is possible to work with a Circle member to export/import Style Editor settings (with some limitations...if you're switching templates then things might not work out how you'd want them to). Again, that perhaps doesn't help you much (especially not retroactively) but might be valuable for you to know later, if it becomes necessary.

Currently, Squarespace "...isn't optimized for importing content between Squarespace 7 sites..." (reference). And for 7.1 sites, it's not possible. Some have had some success using the Wordpress export feature (see here and here).

So, it seems none of these are a great nor comprehensive solution to the issues you describe. However, it is an answer to your question: "does anyone know how to back up all of this, export it, or something", so I thought it was worth posting.

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

Archived