Excess/Dead Space Below Accordion Block

Go to solution Solved by one-relic,

I'm using 7.1's native accordion blocks on my site, and when I use one near the end of a page everything looks fine below the block. When I use the block in the middle of a page, I'm finding issues with excess/dead space after the block.

I've provided some screenshots of what I'm trying to fix...

Accordion-Excess-Space-(Published).jpg.cceaf1905d2d87e290461fe926d83fd6.jpg
The excess space while viewing the page "live."

Accordion-Excess-Space-(Editnogrid).jpg.8cba43e1f2ec754898a19ede192c56d8.jpg
The edit view of the accordion blocks.

Accordion-Excess-Space-(Editwgrid).jpg.47c610f0fdba333a4bb223985187c0c4.jpg
Edit view of the blocks (with the FE grid).

The page in question: https://denim-goldfish-64te.squarespace.com/volunteer
Password: helpmeplz

I'm using the code @tuanphan wrote for styling the accordion titles, which is why they contain span styles.

I've checked with multiple browsers, and the issue is present across all of them. While I have not optimized the site for mobile yet, I did a quick check, and it does not appear to be an issue on mobile from what I'm seeing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, DPruitt said:

I would switch to a "classic editor sections" when using accordion blocks and summary blocks.  Honestly, the spacing can get so bad sometimes, I use Classic editor sections more than fluid engine...

So I honestly never thought to give this a try, but after giving it a go, it definitely cleans up the dead space below the accordion, but now I've run into a new issue when trying to top-align my two accordion blocks.

Everything looks great in editor mode...ClassicEditor-EditMode.thumb.JPG.6625274348267fdef2b49e8c6fe2cc6c.JPG

But mis-aligns along the top when saved and viewed live.
ClassicEditor-Live.thumb.JPG.8e31a741de83f28034479ac6e4ca0154.JPG

I'm using the below CSS to size and position the two accordion blocks

// Classic Accordion Size & Location
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692135193593_5522 {
  position: absolute;
  margin-left: 3.15rem;
  width: 540px;
}

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692136228925_4635{
  position: relative;
  margin-left: 37.75rem;
  width: 540px;
}

*EDIT - I also just found in the live view, that the left accordion block (block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692135193593_5522) no longer adjusts the next section to accommodate the dropdown, but just pushes the info behind it, cutting it off. I'm 99.9% certain that it has to do with the "position: absolute" property, but I'm not sure how to correct it, since all of the other values I've tried for position fail to top-align the blocks.

Edited by one-relic
New information after testing
  • Solution

For anyone who may be having similar issues, who stumbles across this.

I was able to resolve this issue using the native 7.1 accordion blocks, without reverting to classic editor blocks. It was as simple as removing the span style for the titles. Fluid Engine seems to see the style coding and is treating it as plain text, which increases the grid size needed for the block.

In my specific case, I used an HTML bold tag on my titles instead of the span style. I was able to style the bold tag in CSS to get the look I was going for, which cleared up the excess dead space below the accordion.

Edited by one-relic
Missing information