Image distorted/stretched after uploading image and saving website

Site URL: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWuN9y7

I'm currently building a website for someone else, and this is my first experience with Squarespace.  

At this point this is a rather simple website with an image and some text on each page, but it occurred to be that the pages were taking too long to load.   Accordingly I downsized the image files and replaced each website image with its smaller counterpart.  For most of the images, this worked fine, but the last one became stretched and distorted after I saved my changes.   This image, too, looked OK prior to saving.  The odd thing about all this is that you don't see the distortion until after you save your changes.

I've tried both just replacing the image in the existing image block, and deleting the entire image block and recreating it, but the result is the same.

1. Image after uploading but before saving.JPG

2. Image after uploading and saving.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue.. Did you figure this out?
Acutally, I tried changing to a different picture and then it was Ok, even after hitting save. Changed back to the correct/original image, and distorted again.
The image has plenty of pixels, so size is not an issue.. 

Note! For me this is just on 1 image, all other images are Ok. 

Edited by torbjorn
added info
  • 4 weeks later...

My client is having this same issue in her blog posts in her new 7.1 site. It is very difficult for me to troubleshoot since this client is not tech savvy. I tried to help her with one of the distorted images, and the only way I could solve the issue was to crop the image using the Squarespace editing tools.

She has only had this issue with portrait oriented images rather than horizontal oriented images. 

I'm very interested to hear if there is a solution. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, TwillCreative said:

My client is having this same issue in her blog posts in her new 7.1 site. It is very difficult for me to troubleshoot since this client is not tech savvy. I tried to help her with one of the distorted images, and the only way I could solve the issue was to crop the image using the Squarespace editing tools.

She has only had this issue with portrait oriented images rather than horizontal oriented images. 

I'm very interested to hear if there is a solution. 

Thank you so much for posting this. I was having the same issue, but the cropping trick fixed my issue as well (though it's not a great work around if a person is sizing images before uploading, which many designers do).

• 1 year later...