How long does it take for a custom favicon to show up on your site?

• Replies 15
  • Views 81.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

If you clear your cache, the favicon you uploaded should appear. The only exception I know of is if the browser you're using doesn't support favicons. Try re-uploading the favicon with the correct dimensions, then refresh your browser.

Tyler E. West is a 21st century digital native who writes about the art of human enterprise, government redesign and the future of the internet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

None of these answers is correct.

Favicons are not always "favicon.ico" in the root. That was true in the 90s.

Squarespace support for custom favicons is broken. The template code (in the header element, it's a link with rel="shortcut icon") always uses favicon.ico as the name of the file. This is wrong. You need to change the filename when you change the icon so that the browser knows to invalidate its cached version. Annoyingly, I have yet to find a way to remove the reference to favicon.ico from the Squarespace templates. Adding a second entry using the Code Injection page and pointing to another file I've uploaded works for Chrome (which happens to use the last icon reference it encounters) but not for IE (which happens to use the first, apparently).

It's also annoying that Squarespace is full of incorrect statements like "IE won't display PNG favicons." This is clearly untrue, but what it likely means to say is "old versions of IE (and other browsers) won't use PNG favicons."

Brandon

• 2 months later...

Favicons are squirrely little boogers aren't they?!

I've got a blog post here: http://www.sqsp.guru/news/how-to-force-refresh-a-favicon-in-squarespace-6 that shows you step by step how to force refresh a favicon.

Your browser doesn't fetch the favicon file if one is already in cache for the website...so while the new favicon shows up for your new website visitors you'll still see the old one. But check out that blog post and it will show you how to force refresh the favicon.

I run the Squarespace Guru blog (www.sqsp.guru) and host the Squarespace Guru podcast.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived