How to display a caption below an image lightbox

I have a gallery grid with images (of artwork). I have it set to pop-up with enlarged images in a lightbox, and display the captions on hover. This is fine on desktop, but on mobile devices the captions do not display unless you tap a tiny dot in the lower right hand corner. Absolutely no one sees this, so mobile visitors to my site always think there is no caption information given.

A fine solution would be to simply have the captions below the enlarged lightbox images, and always show up (no hover). This seems like a really, really basic format, but it seems that this is simply not an option on Squarespace, which is baffling to me. Are there any workarounds for this? Having a simple grid of images where you click an image and get a bigger image with a caption below it really seems like something that should be possible.

Edited by tc15201
Initial Revision
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@skazia @ChuckChair -- Try this in Design > Custom CSS to make the caption visible by default (you won't be able to hide it with by clicking the dot, however):

.sqs-lightbox-meta.overlay-description-visible {
 bottom: 0px !important;
}

Edited by JGutierrez
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, SodaCreekDigital said:

Hi all - I'm running into the same image on an artwork website where the code provided covers a lot of the image, any suggestions on how to ensure that the image captions always display below the image?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you share link to your site?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...

I am also having this problem with my site www.glorianna.org/adventuring. I created captions for all of the images but they only appear in Lightbox on Desktop and most of my clients and followers view on mobile. Some of my captions include stories that cover the entire photo, so it would need to be possible to turn it off. Help please!

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Same issue. Squarespace doesn’t seem to understand the needs of artists very well and it’s totally annoying that they think a tiny dot in the corner will be obvious to visitors. I just barely noticed it myself. 

Edited by BethB
On 7/6/2021 at 10:12 AM, BethB said:

Same issue. Squarespace doesn’t seem to understand the needs of artists very well and it’s totally annoying that they think a tiny dot in the corner will be obvious to visitors. I just barely noticed it myself. 

If you share link to your site, we can use some code to enlarge this tiny dot, or add some text beside dot

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 7/6/2021 at 10:12 AM, BethB said:

Could you share your current site url with the issue?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:20 PM, DominicB said:

@SodaCreekDigital did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm looking to do a similar thing.

Try this solution

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 6 months later...

is it so hard for Squarespace to add a check so that we can select if we display caption on lightbox or not?

It is such a basic feature for artists, photographers etc that i am surprised it is not provided by default, and it is strange that although they have it there for images on the gallery, they don't provide it when people click the image (lightbox) to see large size....

I would not start to add to my template javascripts and huge css blocks, i could have stayed with Wordpress if this is the case in order to add simple and basic functionality

• 11 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 11:12 PM, BethB said:

On 2/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, tsouratziscom said:

is it so hard for Squarespace to add a check so that we can select if we display caption on lightbox or not?

It is such a basic feature for artists, photographers etc that i am surprised it is not provided by default, and it is strange that although they have it there for images on the gallery, they don't provide it when people click the image (lightbox) to see large size....

I would not start to add to my template javascripts and huge css blocks, i could have stayed with Wordpress if this is the case in order to add simple and basic functionality

I couldn't agree more. I have been struggling for days trying to figure out a way to just simply move the lightbox caption to the right of the image (and move image left), and make it permanently visible. Y'know...a very very basic feature for artists. What the hell? Why isn't this standard? Why isn't it just a choice that we can tick on or off?

I can figure out how to get the bloody caption visible permanently, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to detach it from the image and get it to display NEXT to the image. Nothing has worked. I shouldn't have to spend so much of my time trying to figure out what should be a basic choice from the get go.