Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
tc15201

How to display a caption below an image lightbox

Question

I have a gallery grid with images (of artwork). I have it set to pop-up with enlarged images in a lightbox, and display the captions on hover. This is fine on desktop, but on mobile devices the captions do not display unless you tap a tiny dot in the lower right hand corner. Absolutely no one sees this, so mobile visitors to my site always think there is no caption information given.

A fine solution would be to simply have the captions below the enlarged lightbox images, and always show up (no hover). This seems like a really, really basic format, but it seems that this is simply not an option on Squarespace, which is baffling to me. Are there any workarounds for this? Having a simple grid of images where you click an image and get a bigger image with a caption below it really seems like something that should be possible.

Edited by tc15201
Initial Revision

11 answers to this question

can you please send URL here.

Hi, I'm Mandeep . Nice to meet you! A website developer with five years experience with Squarespace Designer. I specialize in helping busy founders create modern, professionally designed Squarespace websites that represent their brand. Book a Squarespace Expert :- mandhanjal@gmail.com Squarespace website update, website content update, text added, images added, product added. Over the last 5 years, I have developed a wide range of websites using HMTL, CSS, DHTML, PHP, AJAX, JAVASCRIPT and MySQL including sites for start-up companies and small businesses.

I'm having the exact same issue and Squarespace support cannot help me. It should be a very straightofrward CSS fix by the looks of it. Did anyone make any progress with this?

@skazia @ChuckChair -- Try this in Design > Custom CSS to make the caption visible by default (you won't be able to hide it with by clicking the dot, however):

.sqs-lightbox-meta.overlay-description-visible {
 bottom: 0px !important;
}

Edited by danieljs

@danieljs thank you so much! I'll give this a shot. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't hide the caption afterwards. Much appreciated :)

@danieljs thank you so much! I'll give this a shot. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't hide the caption afterwards. Much appreciated :)

Thank you, but the caption hides a lot of the image. I am looking for an option to have the caption below the image.

Hi all - I'm running into the same image on an artwork website where the code provided covers a lot of the image, any suggestions on how to ensure that the image captions always display below the image?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, SodaCreekDigital said:

Hi all - I'm running into the same image on an artwork website where the code provided covers a lot of the image, any suggestions on how to ensure that the image captions always display below the image?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you share link to your site?