display price and checkout in multiple currencies

Hello fellow sufferers,

I'm using Squarespace Commerce and as we all know, you can choose your shop currency but you can't show multiple currencies. So if my price is in USD at the moment my international customer's can't see the price in their own currency.

One "solution" I see posted in the forum is to simply write the price in alternative currencies in the description. This is clearly not ideal for two reasons. First, I'd have to keep updating the price based on exchange rate fluctuations and second, its only in the description, not in the cart and not at checkout.

Now to be specific, I don't need to CHARGE the customer in different currencies, its ok to charge them in the shop's base currency (ie USD). I can put in a disclaimer that the price shown in their currency is approximate and that the actual billing will take place in USD. I just need the display currency to be user-choosable.

I've had many lengthy exchanges with SS Customer Care but they have no solution and have assured me there is nothing in the pipeline either. So we're forced to find a widget or some code that can do this for us.

1. Let customer choose what currency to SEE prices in
  2. Display cart and checkout in that currency AND the actual billing currency (USD)
  3. Bill them in USD.

Has anyone done this?

Cheers,Rasheed

Co-founder of social enterprise fashion handbag maker Lidia May. Our motto is #upliftingfashion - tell us what that means to you!

• Replies 23
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really great question! Please include a link to your site (something.squarespace.com) and help me to understand which other currencies you want to display.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @Paul2009 its https://lidiamay.com (hosted by squarespace and using their SUPPLY template, however not a xxx.squarespace.com address). At a minimum I'd like to add EUR and GBP but if there were an option for customers to choose their currency that would be ideal. Cheers.

Co-founder of social enterprise fashion handbag maker Lidia May. Our motto is #upliftingfashion - tell us what that means to you!

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind? These figures were automatically added and the exchange rates were automatically generated from a live exchange rate service (updated daily).

alt text

supply.jpg.57ebd31d94d9017cc43e4219c86087c2.jpg

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Wow that's a great start! I suppose you could do the same on the checkout page too? If so this would do. How do I contact you directly?

Wow that's a great start! I suppose you could do the same on the checkout page too? If so this would do. How do I contact you directly?

The checkout page can't be modified. You can't inject code for security reasons.

Here's a quickly assembled guide to doing this (withdrawn).

UPDATE: The answer originally posted above used a third party conversion service that they withdrew, rendering the free solution invalid. I've now produced a new version of the code and packaged it up as a plugin. You can find more details here:

https://www.soundfocus.co.uk/squarespace-multicurrency

@Paul2009 , can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I can't code so I've forwarded your link to someone else to whom I've given access and hope can implement it for me. I'll post back once done.Many thanks!

@Paul2009 , can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I can't code so I've forwarded your link to someone else to whom I've given access and hope can implement it for me. I'll post back once done.Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I tried the code and it works really well. Next to usd, euro and GBP we also need to add NIS (NEW ISRAELI SHEKEL - also known as ILS) to our website. Could you help us with adjusting the code?

Thank you so much,MeiraSitton

Hi Paul,

I tried the code and it works really well. Next to usd, euro and GBP we also need to add NIS (NEW ISRAELI SHEKEL - also known as ILS) to our website. Could you help us with adjusting the code?

Thank you so much,MeiraSitton

• 2 months later...
Guest MarkOlivier

@Paul2009

I hope you can assist me. I am in South Africa and we use ZAR (Rand) here. I need to show the price of my products in 'R' either as a additional currency, like you did for Rasheed or by using a currency converter.

Any advise?

Thanks, Mark

Guest MarkOlivier

@Paul2009

I hope you can assist me. I am in South Africa and we use ZAR (Rand) here. I need to show the price of my products in 'R' either as a additional currency, like you did for Rasheed or by using a currency converter.

Any advise?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark. You can use the code I provided above, changing a few lines to use Rand instead. For example:

var rsaprice = fx(price).to("ZAR").toFixed(2)

Everything that you need is there. If you someone to do it, there's a link in the article that explains how to book us to do it for you.

Guest MarkOlivier

@Paul2009 Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the below but I must be missing something. My base currency currently is GBP.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks Mark

Guest MarkOlivier

@Paul2009 Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the below but I must be missing something. My base currency currently is GBP.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks Mark

Best if you post new question specific to Rand and provide details of your site.

• 5 weeks later...

It can be achieved in any template, but it may need some small changes for other templates.

• 1 month later...

Hello @Paul2009 I was wondering if you could assist me. I implemented the code as shown in the link for the assembly guide but it's not being showed in my template, I'm using 'West' - also if possible, I would like for my main currency to be MXN and to display USD and Euro as approximates. Thanks in advance!

Archived