How can I customize my EU-Cookie-Banner that it looks like the banner on the official Squarespace Website?

• Replies 15
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

christoph,

I've provided a guide on how to modify the Squarespace cookie banner here.

I hope that helps.

Paul

Like other moderators on this forum, I post answers to help fellow Squarespace users understand how to customise their sites.
If I've correctly answered your question, please Accept the answer by clicking Accept below. If it didn't help, feel free to ask for more help or wait for forum users to add their comments and/or answers.

To everyone else who reads this answer and finds it helpful, please vote it up using the up arrow. This will let other users know it's a good answer.
For more useful Squarespace tips see our website.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@octopus
Surely better to add "I would like to know too" rather than asking the same question again and clogging up the forum? -----
The question by @christoph was extremely clear and understandable to me. -----
btw: What is the required information one needs to include to have a question answered ?

Learning

Sticky? I don't understand.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

OK! Add

position: fixed!important;

to the

.cookie-notice

section. I've amended the article to include this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi @Paul2009 ,

I followed your guide and it looks great (version 1 - black banner)! Thank you!

However, the problem is that with this workaround, we can't offer the user the option to Opt Out of cookie tracking (which seems to be a legal requirement under the GDPR).

Using this customized button - rather than the ugly SquareSpace default - how do we restrict analytics for users that don't agree to having their cookies tracked?

I went onto SquareSpace chat and they confirmed that the only way to do this within their system (i.e., not using custom code) is by enabling their ugly 'EU Cookies' button.

Is it possible to add this into the code? If not, then it looks like we'll need to rely on their inbuilt option in order to adhere to GDPR standards :(

I'll shortly be posting a solution to enable Squarespace's own banner to look much better. This would enable visitors to opt out of Squarespace analytics but it will not have any effect on third party cookies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, any luck on this at all? I've asked Squarespace today for any updates they can offer to their existing EU Cookie Banner so hopefully they'll have an official solution soon.

@Paul2009 I know you're working on a solution, so wanted to toss a few ideas out there. Using jQuery or equivalent, can we capture click buttons on the Squarespace cookie banner and then trigger a custom callback that loads 3rd party scripts?

Hi Paul2009, Thanks so much for the guide, its great. I have a small problem which I'm curious is it affecting others here or may be you're already aware of. The link to the Cookies Policy and the 'X' do not work, at least for me, on browsers within Windows. For example everything works a charm on any mobile device I've tested but on a PC you can view the banner but cannot click on anything. I've tried on IE, FireFox and Chrome. I dont know is this a browser thing or the SquareSpace Template. Surely the code is correct otherwise mobile devices would have the same issue. Any ideas?

Archived