Harris: Customize size of banner

For the Harris template, you can select a variety of sizes for the banner, but the gap between small and medium is quite large. Is there any way to set a custom size for the banner that is somewhere between these two default template setting? Much appreciated!!

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Igassoc

Not a problem! Try this, it's what I use on my site. Of course, you can experiment with the px until you find a height you like:

#banner-area-wrapper {
    height: 250px !important;
    }  

Given that different template families have differing classes, this may or may not work, but I'm thinking it should. Also, give it a try without the "!important" tag first to see if it's effective. Generally, using !important everywhere isn't considered good practice, but is sometimes needed to override Squarespace's template defaults.

Hope this helps!

Tyler

Tried doing some digging, and inspected the banner element on another Harris site. Try this instead:

1) #page-banner-wrapper { height: 250px !important; } 

2) .page-banner-wrapper { height: 250px !important; } 

Just like before, try the code without the !important tag applied, first - starting with snippet 1. I believe the problem with my original offering was that I use the Five template, and the selectors are not the same between the two templates. However, one of these two options should get the job done.

Tyler

Sure thing, sorry about that! You just have to wrap it in a mobile query:

@media only screen and (min-width: 769px) { .page-banner-wrapper { height: 250px !important; }}

This will ensure that the respective change will only effect the desktop version of your site. Hope it helps!

Tyler

Sure thing, sorry about that! You just have to wrap it in a mobile query:

@media only screen and (min-width: 769px) { .page-banner-wrapper { height: 250px !important; }}

This will ensure that the respective change will only effect the desktop version of your site. Hope it helps!

Tyler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, @TylerC. One final issue we just noticed -- this also affects banner heights for blog pages -- which simply adds a big block of blank space to the top of blog posts based on the manual height code. Is there any way of excluding this code for blog posts? Much appreciated!!

Archived