Why does the spacer have a minimum size?

Go to solution Solved by brandon,

Hi,

One of the most frustrating things about aligning blocks on your website is that there seems to be a minimum size for your horizontal (Drag up and down) spacers. Why would that be and is there a way to make the blocks as small as necessary?

Thanks

Edited by joshuar87
Initial Revision
  • Solution

Update 10/24/2019:

Add this via the CSS Editor, save and refresh:

/* Add this first bit to get more flexibility in height. */
.sqs-layout.sqs-editing .sqs-block, .sqs-block-spacer-content {
    min-height: 0px !important;
}
.sqs-block-spacer .sqs-block-content {
  height: 0;
}

/* Add this second bit too if you want to be able to go to zero. */
.sqs-block-spacer {
	padding-top: 0 !important;
	padding-bottom: 0 !important;
}

If a response helped you out, show some love by 'Like' like.jpg.6f2856e82374ca8b5041fff9ee27eef4.jpg (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left).

Note that the minimum width of a spacer block isn't dictated by the block, but by Squarespace's grid system. It's not an issue with the spacer block, but it's the minimum width of any block on Squarespace (technically, it's the minimum width of columns). Messing with grid column width requires a case-by-case evaluation and code-writing.

Original Answer:

Hi @joshuar87.

I've run into this in the past as well. The minimum height of the spacer block can seem too high for some instances.

The minimum height seems to be based on a combination of your templates default 'line-height' property, the default top/bottom gutter height (17px), and an arbitrary minimum padding set by the SS system. Finally, a min-height rule limits the spacer block when dragging it up and down in LayoutEngine.

It is possible to override these values by inserting the following CSS into the CSS Editor. Save, then refresh the page.

/*Remove minimum spacer-block height*/
.spacer-block {
   padding-top: 0;
   padding-bottom: 0 !important;
}

.spacer-block .sqs-block-content {
   line-height: 0.0em;
}

.sqs-layout.sqs-editing .spacer-block {
   min-height: 0;
}
/*End remove spacer-block height*/

Keep in mind that if Squarespace changes their code, this kind of CSS can stop working at any time.

Let me know how this works for you.

-Brandon

Edited by brandon
Initial Revision

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Works brilliantly thanks!

To others who try this, once you have inserted the code, don't expect your site to respond by automatically reducing the Spacer Blocks to 0 - you have to go and click on each one and then you'll see the grey circle, and can drag the Spacer to as small as you like.

Thanks @BrandonW

Works brilliantly thanks!

To others who try this, once you have inserted the code, don't expect your site to respond by automatically reducing the Spacer Blocks to 0 - you have to go and click on each one and then you'll see the grey circle, and can drag the Spacer to as small as you like.

Thanks @BrandonW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

@DolceCotti

SS uses a 12 column layout. When laying things out blocks will snap to the grid.

It may be possible to get where you want with some Custom CSS. We'd need more detail and be able to see what you are talking about.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...