Change background color for specific page - Brine

Hello!

I'm working with the brine template and am trying to change the background of a specific page to look somewhat more consistent on mobile. The link is: www.glodrinks.com/mobile

I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make the body's background around the video black. I've followed several CSS samples on here and none of them seem to work. Several people point out using the collection ID, but I can't seem to find that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @haganwalker

This is what you need to add using the CSS Editor:

#collection-57164f0822482effba75abbb {
.Main {
   background-color: #000;
 }
}

Here's a quick explanation about the collection ID.

Each page (known as a "collection" in Squarespace) has a unique identifier. The ID is unique for each page on each site. To find it you need to use your web browser's developer tools. Every new browser has them or you can just right click the page and choose view source. This almost always works unless your browser has been locked down. When you do this, you'll see the code that is behind your page.

When you're not logged in to your site, look at the source, or use the inspector in the development tools to look at the code. Near the top search for

<body

and then immediately after that you should see the collection ID. Because it's an ID, prefix it with a hash character and the code you place after it in curly braces will only apply to that page:

alt text

I hope that helps

your-page-id.png.05c6f3021f688272d5492c6391b30efc.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Yes, I agree @octopus. Sometimes the shortest answer is the best! In this case though they were confused about Collection IDs and I thought it was worth the effort in trying to explain them.

Because Squarespace don't encourage customising sites I don't they explain the basics of customisation very well yet. It's only by following the well explained answers like yours, Jason's and Eric's (and many others) that users get a deep enough understanding. It makes my day when you teach me something new. New knowledge and understanding is so much better than a code snippet. So a big thanks from me.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This worked really well for me but I wonder, is there a less clunky way?i.e.Is there a code that we could put into the header of each page individually rather than having to go to "Custome CSS"?I ask because I would like to use this effect for multiple indexes and it would be more efficient if I could just copy and paste each time.

Work With Me 🖥️💻📱

Please remember to tag me so that I get a notification and respond to your help requests.

If my answers have helped you, please drop a like and mark my answer as best to help other users find solutions quickly.

You can also thank me or make requests by buying me a coffee . (Caffeine fuels me to take more requests)

For Squarespace Tips & Tricks, visit @squareskills (Youtube 📺 Tutorials)

For Premium and FREE plugins, visit Squareskills (Plugin Store) 🧩

Some links may be affiliate/referral links.

• 6 months later...

Archived