Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

How to build a multilingual site in Squarespace 7 - without drawbacks & extra cost

softworks

Question

There are several approaches to realize a multilingual site in Squarespace.All of the existing solutions have drawbacks. In the answer, you will find a solution for localization of squarespace sites without drawbacks.

1) Official Squarespace Solution

• Does not work on all templates.
  • Structural limitation - you only have one navigation level left perlanguage.
  • Language selector menu not very nice.

2) Using multiple squarespace sites with language subdomains

• You have to pay the Squarespace fee per language

3) Using external localization services like localize.js oder bablic.com

• You have to pay for external services.

• There are additional resources that have to be downloaded

• Does SEO work well on these solutions? Did not investigate this.

4) Javascript based on CSS Selectors and page IDs

• Unflexible when adding pages, JS has to be adapted and grows
Edited by edokken

I am a freelance developer situated in southern germany. I offer full service websites, ecommerce. Everything from concept, design, programming, ui, marketing & seo, analytics, hosting up to business consulting. I prefer using open source software like typo3 or magento but i also admire the easiness of saas software and services like squarespace. I spend most of my spare time up in the Alpes.

1 hour ago, wamap said:

@tuanphan Many thanks but we really cannot adapt the Code to the pacific template ? I just Need to Center the language choice

Can you share link to your site?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours.

How to: Setup password & share url - Insert Custom CSS - Page Header - Upload Custom Font - Upload File - Find Block ID - Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Custom Popup - Testimonial Slider

I'm Tuan, blogger/owner of a free library for children in Vietnam. Helping the community is a hobby. Contact me via email.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, wamap said:

Checked. I have no ideas..

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours.

How to: Setup password & share url - Insert Custom CSS - Page Header - Upload Custom Font - Upload File - Find Block ID - Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Custom Popup - Testimonial Slider

I'm Tuan, blogger/owner of a free library for children in Vietnam. Helping the community is a hobby. Contact me via email.

Hello everyone,

I dont understand how to implement the code from e)
I have three languages : English, French and Russian. I set all three languages in the part d) and also did defined the main language in the part c). But going from there I don't understant what I should change to suit my needs. 
If anyone understands coding that'w be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:04 AM, jrocha said:

@Simonhuesler same here. (Hayden template)I force navigation max-size to avoid the .force-mobile-nav class to be applied, due other languages 'hidden' links:

#mainNavigation {
  float: right;
  max-width: 1000px!important;
}

Mind that this is a temp. 'workaround', any navigation change, add new links or template update might break it.

I just build a duo-lingo site for a client, and had the issue of mobile nav kicked in too early. Even thought only one language nav showed up, the Bryant template had "force-mobile-nav" loaded as two set of navs I guess. This fix just worked perfectly! Thanks!