How to build a multilingual site in Squarespace 7 - without drawbacks & extra cost

Hi @softworks great work! Still amazed that Squarespace themselves have not come up with a solid solution to this problem built straight into each template.

On your solution - I noticed that when you switch languages when you are already navigating the site you get referred back to the homepage for the new language. Do you see a way to switch languages as well as hold your place in the site?

Hi @softworks great work! Still amazed that Squarespace themselves have not come up with a solid solution to this problem built straight into each template.

On your solution - I noticed that when you switch languages when you are already navigating the site you get referred back to the homepage for the new language. Do you see a way to switch languages as well as hold your place in the site?

Hi @maxkloosterman.

1. Solution 1: You would have to createa mapper function to define therelations between the pages, eg. theurl for the german disclaimer andthe url for the english disclaimer.Disadvantage - If you often changeyour page this will be hard work tomaintain, as you do this manually.
    1. Solution 2:You have to build urls by convention, e.g. en/disclaimer, de/disclaimer. Disadvantage - you are goona loose the url for seo purposes.

In both cases you will have to change the logic of the script.

I am a freelance developer situated in southern germany. I offer full service websites, ecommerce. Everything from concept, design, programming, ui, marketing & seo, analytics, hosting up to business consulting. I prefer using open source software like typo3 or magento but i also admire the easiness of saas software and services like squarespace. I spend most of my spare time up in the Alpes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @lazalee. As I described in my post, you need to adapt injection points for each template family.You can do this on your own (requires basic skills in JS, HTML, CSS, YUI) or book me. I have an adapted commercial multitemplate version of the script.

I am a freelance developer situated in southern germany. I offer full service websites, ecommerce. Everything from concept, design, programming, ui, marketing & seo, analytics, hosting up to business consulting. I prefer using open source software like typo3 or magento but i also admire the easiness of saas software and services like squarespace. I spend most of my spare time up in the Alpes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @softworks I have a problem with this multilanguage set up. I am not a developer. Can we connect offsite? i'd like to ask you for a help with this. If possible. Thanks Gosia gosiekn@yahoo.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

@softworks

Your code works perfectly for links, index page and normal page. But for folders not. Here is a website that I am making: https://www.heikeprevrhal.com/de/homAs you can see the english menu is not hiding - when it is a folder (dropdown).I am doing the website with Bedford template.

At your website "Inselhostel" it works as well for dropdown menuWhat can I do about it? or is it not possible for Bedford?

Besten Dank!:-)

Hi @AnnaM , it also works for Bedford and other templates. But, as I described in my post, you need to adapt the injection points for each template family, because the html differs from template to template. You can do this on your own (requires skills in JS, HTML, CSS, YUI) or book me. I have an adapted commercial multitemplate version of the script with additional features running out of the box for lots of templates. In case of questions you can contact me via mail: registrar@soft-works.biz.

• 4 months later...

I FOUND THE SOLUTION FOR MULTILANGUAGE FREE ON SQUARESPACE

Hello Every one! After many hours of works, i finelly sucess a good version of multinlingue website. Squarespace offer a very cheap solution. You can also subscribe on website to manage your translation but it cost money.

You can have a look on my website : link text

I do that only with javascript and its not complicate at all. If anyone need help, feeel free to ask.

Edited by bastdesign
Initial Revision
  • 5 months later...

@softworks Thank you very much for posting this. I'm not sure if you're still on here, but I'm trying to put in my own flag icons for the language menu, but it looks like the list of flag icons from here were deleted.

http://lipis.github.io/

It says:
"This project wouldn't exist without the awesome and now deleted collection of SVG flags by koppi."

Is there another way I can create the flag icons?

Thanks for your time,-Sarai

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add this feature to a Skye template. Who can help me to impement this as I am not a developer @softworks, could you do it or anyone else? I'd like to use this for a blog with choice English Dutch language. Many thanks! (marit@matouche.nl)

Edited by Guest
Initial Revision

@Matouche - I will contact you under your mail address. Yes i can build this for the Skye template. This requires setting up a blog for each single language used.

• 2 months later...

Hi @softworks

Thanks so much for your time and the code you shared with us! It was a so helpful and I managed to create with 2 languages website.

However I have 2 questions maybe you can help with me. 1. How do yo manage to have 2 home pages? Whenever I set one as my home page, if I switch to the other language but click on the logo, it switches back to the other language home page. I see on your Insel Hostel website that it works. 2. When I move to a mobile display, my language menu doesn't go below the other menu. It stands out and stays on the right corner. I see on your Insel Hostel website it works perfectly though. Is there something special that needs to be done?

Thanks!Mathilde

Edited by mathildepl
Initial Revision
  • 7 months later...

hi there, it might be a stupid question but I try to test your solution on the Ready template in the trial version and nothing happens to the page. Is it the template or do I have to be in the live version of the page for it to work?Thanks in advance. Kamila

Please read number 3f) of the descripton.

You have to adapt the injections points for your template. You will need JS/YUI/CSS skills.This tutorial was a proof of concept mainly targeted for developers.

For customers i offer an enhanced and extended commercial script supporting several templates. The script does not yet support the Skye Family (Ready template) - but i could built in support. You can send me a mail to info@soft-works.biz if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

@softworks I have this very same question. I am using Pacific template, but in the mobile navigation, the language choice is appearing at the top right. Would appreciate your help in how to move it underneath the main nav menu.

Thank you for your help and the best solution I have found thusfar. alt text

screen-shot-2019-08-16-at-125809-pm.png.c04bc3f5fc0298dd613461a7e66ce9ee.png

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, wamap said:

@mei_chicks Did you find a solution ? I am facing the same issue, quite confused on how to solve it

Try CSS Solution (no js). Manually but seems fine. 

Demo: https://cymbals-chicory-r44j.squarespace.com/?password=abc

Edited by tuanphan

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)