How can I temporarily close my shop with a message to customers?

I am going to be out of town for a few weeks. I would like to turn off my store during that time with a message to customers letting them know that, the date the store will reopen and that we will have our new spring inventory up.

The only thing I could come up with is turning off the store, removing it from the navigation links and adding a dummy “store” page with the message I want, but I was wondering if there was an easier or more logical way?

Or a way I could do this without linking to a totally different page, in case somebody has an item in the store bookmarked I would not want them to be directed to a broken page. Could I turn the store to the test order mode and have a message pop-up over the store with the info I want? How would I make an overlay pop-up happen?

Any other ideas? Please help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could also set up a page password. Squarespace recently changed things so that you can edit the style of your password page.

If you set the password color to transparent it won't even look like a password page. Then put something like "Come back later!" in the text.

(this would only work if you don't use passwords on any other pages because the style applies to all pages)

You can add an announcement bar.https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815318

I would not recommend switching off your product pages if you can avoid it as it would have a SEO impact

You can stop your store taking live orders here via a togglehttps://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205826058

thank you both so much for your help! I decided to use the "announcement" method... but I didn't know anything about password protected pages so it was an interesting feature to learn about and I think I will have use for it in future!

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd offer another option.

I'd create a new page with your message then use a 302 redirect from the store page to the new message page in Settings > Advanced > URL Mappings.

Shouldn't be a negative impact on SEO since your using the 302 redirect.

• 2 years later...

Archived