PNG files and transparent images?

Does anyone have any idea how to (if we can) use PNG image files with transparent backgrounds. I have a circular photo which I wish to use but is still in the shape of a square with non-transparent background.

• Replies 5
  • Views 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had trouble with this in the past but I found it easiest with Adobe illustrator. When creating the image you can select PNG Transparent background it the program takes care of the rest! If you need an help I could potentially edit the photo and email it to you if that makes it easier!

Thank you very much for your reply, muchly appreciated. I am using Adobe Photoshop and have saved/converted image as a PNG-24 and have selected transparency. Image filename is img0198.png.on my trial Squarespace website.

Hy,I would also recommend Photoshop because you can set the exact pixel size for your file.

in Photoshop: make a new, empty file, ( e.g. 200x400px with 72dpi)

If you already have your logo without background -drag'n'drop your source file ( I guess you have an .eps file or pdf ) to that new file > save as > .png and done

if you have e.g. a jpg with white background you have to separate it first from the background.put your logo on a new layer (because you can't do that on background-layer) use the magic-stick or something else to delete the background > then SAVE AS > .png > and done

PS: I would also recommend to make your logo file bigger than it appears on the hompage or at least 1:1 because otherwise you get less quality look.

If you have problems with that - just send me the file via email.Armin

About Armin:
Squarespace Expert Profile: https://www.squarespace.com/designer/profile/3649084
Leaders Lodge: See my Profile

• 1 year later...

I'm having this same issue. I followed @ArminB 's advice, and the image is saved with a transparent background, but when I upload it into SS, the background is white! This isn't for my logo though, just an image on the site.

Is this fixable?

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Archived