How do you really put together a newsletter?

Hi Derrick-

I saw you answer another person re: newsletters and I see your website and like the format.  I am trying to build a newsletter (and actually have it drafted) but it looks like the only way I can do it within Squarespace is to pull from my blogs....is that accurate?  I want to add "read more" to each section of my newsletter but it doesn't appear I can do that.  I asked Squarespace via chat and they said I could not but that seems so odd to me.  Would appreciate your feedback on this.  Thanks!

The blog page is the heart of the way to make a newsletter. You put your posts there, but that is not what the viewers will see first. You have a couple of options that work out well.

One-create a newsletter page using summary blocks on a standard page. You set the summary block or blocks to pull content from your blog page. The featured image and the read more button will be part of any item in any summary block. A summary block can have up to 30 items. A blog page listing is limited to 20. However, you are not limited to 30 on your newsletter page if you don't want to be because you can chain summary blocks together on a standard page on a blog page (and I have done both, but as of now my summary blocks are in a second blog pulling content from the first.) Summary blocks can filter content, by category or tag or both or featured post. Have you noticed that toggle in Blog post settings? Turn that on in any post and it shows up right then in a summary block filtering featured posts. I use that for my newest posts to put them at the top of my page and if I want to headline an older post I can do the same. I suggest you take a look at my site, click the blog button and explore it, click on the drop-down menu choose some subjects, scroll the page, click a title or two, and look at some of the entries.  If you like what you see and have any questions post them right back here.

https://www.derricksrandomviews.com/ 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Ok, so thanks to you, I have it figured out BUT very tedious to set up.  I almost gave up a couple of times and was trolling for other newsletter vendors :-).  The summary blocks work well and I found the tags are the most important step after that.  My newsletter follows a specific format of topics, so I was able to set up a page for:  Newsletters (all), blogs (all) and then a page for each topic.  I nested each of the pages under the main topic "Insights" in my main header.  Once I get this all set up, I may look into what you have done and put a pull down on one page for all, but right now I am thrilled to have come this far.

Would be great if Squarespace would up their game a bit and make newsletters an easier tool to store on our website, but this is a great workaround.  Thank you again!