Site Critique and Wrong Logo Displayed when posting my link

Hi all   - I'm new to SS and have just published v 0.1 of my site. Any feedback you could give to improve it I'd be grateful for. Some things I'm struggling with:

1. How to wrap text around an image in a text block in the My Story page.
  2. How to control which logo is used when I post a link to my site - the one that it's grabbing isn't a good one.
  3. Which gallery type converts the best? I'm testing several gallery options; pictures, carrosels, pictures with text, etc.

Thanks much!
Larry

https://www.larrydillphotography.com/

• Replies 1
  • Views 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @NWLarry!

Here's a couple of things that stood out to me -

- The navigation links on the left are wrapping. I would remove the "home" link since the logo takes people back to the home page... that will free up some space, and you can also adjust the spacing between the links so that they all fit on one line. Another option is to move the logo to the left (which will also be easier to read with the dark background) and then put the links on the right (where they'll have more space).
- I would also put a button in the top navigation that says something like "buy prints" that links to the Etsy store (if you aren't going to have a store on this site). That way it stands out and leads people to make a purchase.
- The "fine art photography" text at the top is a little hard to read on top of the image (nice image, btw!!). Either putting a slightly opaque background behind it (so you can still see the image), or using a thicker font would help. Adelle Sans is sort of a generic font anyways, so using a more unique font will stand out better on the site overall. Also, use contrasting fonts for headings and paragraphs.
- On the Fan Favorites section, I would make these images horizontal instead of vertical so they show off more of the image.
- I would remove the dates from the entries on the Journal pages. Two of them say 2019, and it gives the impression that your site isn't updated very often (even if it is).
- I would give the footer a different color from the rest of the page so that it stands out.
- The "my story" and "contact" links in the footer are broken. I would include Portfolio in the footer too since you have it at the top. And add your logo to the bottom.

As for your questions:
1. Add an image block and upload your image. Then when you drag it on the page, you can either sandwich it between the blocks of text, or if you want the text to wrap, just drop it inside the text.
2. Go to the settings on the page you want to change the image, then click Social Image and upload the image you want to use.
3. I would say it depends on what you're wanting to achieve. But I use the carousel a lot.

Overall, you have gorgeous photos... now it's about having a site that matches the same level of professionalism as your photography. Start with the things mentioned above and let me know if you have questions about anything 🙂 

Jessica Miller | Squarespace Website Designer
https://www.jessicamiller.work
jessica@jessicamiller.work

Search the blog and get Squarespace tips to your inbox
https://www.jessicamiller.work/blog

Want to pick my brain or get help? Book a free 15 minute call.

If my post solved your problem, please mark it as the solution - thanks!