My blog categories and tags are outranking my main website pages for long tail keywords

I have been noticing my blog categories and tags have been outranking my long-tail keywords for much of my location-based searches.

For example 'architecture & interior design photographer Westchester ny' yields https://www.andyryanphotographer.com/blog/tag/westchester+county+ny. I can go on and on, but this is repeated for my long-tail keywords and targeted locations. 

I have done some research and came across this article as it related to fixing the ‘Non-canonical URL’ error from categories in Squarespace: https://luckynightstudio.com/blog/how-to-fix-non-canonical-url-error-from-shop-categories-on-squarespace.

It seems this could be a potential fix, but I am apprehensive about injecting any code into the header without learning more and knowing Google will not penalize my SEO results. Especially as it applies to both categories and tags in my case.

I am also wondering if I would need to set this up per tag and category combination, to help robots understand that the combination is what I want to direct to the original content.

OR, is this not a viable option? Would going back into my blog and rewriting it with links to my main pages help resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 1
  • Views 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/10/2024 at 8:12 PM, arpllc said:

I have been noticing my blog categories and tags have been outranking my long-tail keywords for much of my location-based searches.

You likely want to hide your tag and category pages from search, as you have pointed out, you want visitors to land on the blog posts themselves rather than on your tag or category pages. 

You can change the setting by going to your blog collection, click on the cog wheel > SEO > Hide from search results.

Let me know how it goes.

image.thumb.png.951693ddbcf70e602ae85bcb8ccabf6a.png

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)