Hi everyone,

I have a navigation tab titled "Portfolio," and in the back end it is currently a "page." I would like to convert it into a "Folder," so it appears as a drop down in the navigation, but the "Portfolio" page still needs to exist.

According to squarespace I cannot make the swap and would have to create a whole new navigation tab (I don't want to lose my SEO and make any re-directs). I was wondering if anyone has an override code I can put into CSS. I'll list exactly what I would like it to do below:

1) The navigation should still say "Portfolio," but instead of being a page I need to make it a folder.

2) The Portfolio page needs to still exist, it cannot just be a title in the navigation. It is a live page with content and ranks on google (apparently switching to a folder the main navigation title is just that, a title and not a page).

3) Upon hover and/or clicking the navigation a drop down to other pages needs to exist.

I hope this is explained well. Anything to help would be so appreciated ❤️ 

-Nicole

• Replies 3
  • Views 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, nicoleguidophoto said:

I was wondering if anyone has an override code I can put into CSS. I'll list exactly what I would like it to do below:

1) The navigation should still say "Portfolio," but instead of being a page I need to make it a folder.

2) The Portfolio page needs to still exist, it cannot just be a title in the navigation. It is a live page with content and ranks on google (apparently switching to a folder the main navigation title is just that, a title and not a page).

3) Upon hover and/or clicking the navigation a drop down to other pages needs to exist.

Hi @nicoleguidophoto 

1) A "folder" in a navigation has been renamed to dropdown, which might better represent its use and behaviour. In the navigation, you can either have an item that clicks through to a page, or a dropdown that contains a number of pages. (More in Squarespace's documentation about adding a dropdown to your navigation).

If you wanted the dropdown to also be clickable—goes to a page—then the only way to do this is with code.

2) The URL of a portfolio page, or any pages, doesn't change by being an item in the navigation. If this is your concern?

3) What pages would you like to appear on hover of this navigation menu item? And what's the relationship of these pages with your current portfolio page?

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)