How can I add a video as the Featured Image for a blog post (Souto Theme)

Go to solution Solved by tuanphan,

Working with the Souto theme and would really like to use video for the featured image (in Blog Post Settings - attached).

At the moment, I know it's possible to add a .gif, but these are such low quality.

If anyone knows how to code this I would really appreciate the help!

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 13.49.22.png

1 hour ago, JordyTery said:

Thanks so much.

This does not work, but perhaps I did not explain the issue properly.

The Souto theme's home page is set as a blog -- see: https://souto-demo.squarespace.com/

What I am struggling with is how to have one of the homepage images set as a video.

When I go into each individual blog post's settings, I can only upload an image to be  featured on the homepage. 
Here's a video to explain: https://www.loom.com/share/bd9368c3568e44b5a684c5a19ebc2a1f?sid=526415f3-ccb1-4367-b15c-1b81f9f242bd

If you have any solutions I appreciate it!

@SaraVada you are right; we are limited to GIFs and images inside a blog thumbnail.

We can only assume why but I bet the main reasoning is the load time, and the autoplay/audio accessibility dilemma. Whatever the reason is, I don't have a quick code fix that can replace one or two of those images with a video. 💔

The best solution might be to manually create a blog post list on your home page.

You could manually add the image or video, and place a text block underneath with the title, expert, and a link. If you blog a few times a week like I do it would be an absolute nightmare, but it's the only option available at this time.

I will add that from an SEO & UX standpoint, keeping the file size small with optimized GIFs can improve performance... so until we have the feature, skipping the custom code might be a better bet for your site traffic. 😬

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but I hope this explanation helps & wish you the best of luck with your project!

P.S. If anyone reading this has a fancy javascript plugin that can target specific blog posts on the collection list page by some magical entry item id, PLEASE share it because that would be SO cool!! 

🤓 Creator of InsideTheSquare.co
SQUARESPACE CIRCLE LEADER SQUARESPACE EXPERT SQUARESPACE EMPLOYEE EDUCATOR CERTIFIED CUSTOM CODE EXPERT

🗺️ New to Squarespace? Get your free roadmap: insidethesquare.co/roadmap
🙋‍♀️ New to CSS? Learn the basics for free: insidethesquare.co/learn
️ Ready to go pro? Get my custom code collection: insidethesquare.co/css

BeccaHarpain.gif.236d6ddd88c7d637645b762799f501a8.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

@SaraVada You can use this to Website > Website Tools > Custom CSS

a.blog-more-link {
    font-size: 0 !important;
}
a.blog-more-link:before {
    content: "Learn more";
    font-size: 18px !important;
    border-bottom: 1px solid currentColor;
}
a.blog-more-link:after {
    display: none;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)