Jump to content

Special Symbols in Squarespace CSV Import

Recommended Posts

Wondering if there's a correct way to import products that have descriptions with special symbols?

For example, when importing products that have 123ºC in their description the product on the page will be 123�C. The same goes for other symbols such as ™

Link to comment
  • Replies 9
  • Views 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a character set issue. I just did a test where I added the ™ character to title and description and imported with no issue. The character set for the file was UTF-8.

To potentially fix the issue you would need to use tools that can convert between character sets.

Alternately you might be able to re-export the file but select the UTF-8 character encoding for the output.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, creedon said:

This sounds like a character set issue. I just did a test where I added the ™ character to title and description and imported with no issue. The character set for the file was UTF-8.

To potentially fix the issue you would need to use tools that can convert between character sets.

Alternately you might be able to re-export the file but select the UTF-8 character encoding for the output.

@creedon sorry just to clarify what you mean

are these the steps I should follow?

  • export Squarespace CSV
  • open csv in excel 
  • edit data
  • resave as CSV UTF-8 (as opposed to just regular csv that it comes as) before importing
  • import

wonder why it's not just UTF-8 by default 🫠

Link to comment

I'm not currently using Excel so I can't give you specifics on that. For my test I just used a CSV exported from Google Sheets and opened in my code editor to add the ™ character, which by default opened the file with a UTF-8 charset. I then imported the file into SS with no issues. When I went back into my code editor and changed charset to Windows Latin-1 I saw the diamond question mark when importing the file into SS.

Is your CSV file originally exported from a Squarespace site or some other source? If the later then I'd be checking if that other source has options for choosing the character set before you export.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment
Just now, creedon said:

I'm not currently using Excel so I can't give you specifics on that. For my test I just used a CSV exported from Google Sheets and opened in my code editor to add the ™ character, which by default opened the file with a UTF-8 charset. I then imported the file into SS with no issues. When I went back into my code editor and changed charset to Windows Latin-1 I saw the diamond question mark when importing the file into SS.

Is your CSV file originally exported from a Squarespace site or some other source? If the later then I'd be checking if that other source has options for choosing the character set before you export.

@creedon they're from various suppliers so we have to deal with the format they come in. I'll try saving the doc from excel as CSV UTF-8 and see if that makes a difference first

Link to comment
Quote

they're from various suppliers so we have to deal with the format they come in.

Got ya.

Quote

I'll try saving the doc from excel as CSV UTF-8 and see if that makes a difference first

Can't hurt!

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment

Have you made modifications to the products that were originally imported? If not, I suggest deleting those from your store and start fresh with your UTF-8 version of the CSV.

If you've made modifications that you can't live without then you are into exporting from Squarespace, trying the UTF-8 export from Excel. But at this point you are adding layers of potential problems on top of each other making corrections that more difficult. Best to start fresh to keep the number of variables down.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, creedon said:

Have you made modifications to the products that were originally imported? If not, I suggest deleting those from your store and start fresh with your UTF-8 version of the CSV.

If you've made modifications that you can't live without then you are into exporting from Squarespace, trying the UTF-8 export from Excel. But at this point you are adding layers of potential problems on top of each other making corrections that more difficult. Best to start fresh to keep the number of variables down.

@creedon quite a few of these products have the "additional info" section filled out which has to be done on the back end per product instead of using a spreadsheet for some reason so I don't think we would want to start again 🤔

Link to comment

Then you are left with exporting your products from Squarespace, editing them, and reimporting.

I have no idea what this round trip through various systems will do.

I can suggest that you export only one product that is having the issue that way you can test the process and find out what you are up against.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.