Form Block: How do I prevent the enter key from submitting a form prematurely?

Here's my form: Bio Form

I'm having problems with customers hitting enter expecting to move within the cell, but enter submits the form before they've completed it.

How can I prevent the return key from submitting the form but still allow it to be used normally inside of a field?

I've tried the following code, which works for now to stop the form from being submitted, but seems to disable the use of the enter key altogether (I don't want that):

$(document).ready(function() {
 $(window).keydown(function(event){
   if(event.keyCode == 13) {
     event.preventDefault();
     return false;
   }
 });
});

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to try would be to detect that return keystroke (enter key) and turn it into a tab keystroke. Check this and see if it helps, Converting an enter key press into a tab key press.

Then if you want the enter key to work when the submit button has focus, check in your “enter to tab” code and see if the submit button has focus. Something like this may work:

var submitFocus = false;

$('input :submit').focus(function() {
 submitFocus = true;
});

$(window).keydown(function(event) {
   if (event.keyCode == 13 && submitFocus == false) {
       window.event.keyCode = 9;
   }
});

I haven’t tested this code and it may need some tweaking, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.Best wishes!"TJ"

I have experience in programming websites and social networks.

Just to clarify – you want the enter key to start a newline in the two textareas, Athletic Awards and Academic Honors/ Recognitions?

Right now if I hit the enter key in those fields, nothing happens. I’m thinking Squarespace have some code interfering with the usual operations of the form.

The name is an Anglicised form of the Greek Korvetti — I like to think there’s a little bit of the ancient Hellenic drive in me.

Archived