When I switched my primary and secondary domain google workspace didn't reconnect properly

I switched my primary and secondary domains in January and have been without email sending function since then. I have still been receiving emails but cannot send them. I tried to delete the workspace account from the previous primary domain, but it is still stuck there and I cannot add it in squarespace to the now promary domain. Since then I have also registered another domain and email but this says it's being used and I can't connect these either. A total mess... who can fix this for me.

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Workspace can turn into a bit of a tangled mess sometimes, that’s for sure! I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.

First, make sure that any domains you use with Google Workspace include Google Workspace's MX records (aka "mail exchange" records). These are the records that allow you to send and receive emails using the domain:

Adding Google Workspace MX records

When you have multiple domains connected to a Google Workspace account, it can be a little confusing to manage through Squarespace. Here are a few important notes:

• You can only manage a single Google Workspace account through a site's Google Workspace panel.
  • Only the primary domain will show in the Google Workspace panel. If you change the primary domain, you may still see the original domain in Squarespace. When that happens, you can fix it by logging into your Google Admin console and change the domain for each user: Google Documentation
  • New users will always use the primary domain by default. Creating a user for a secondary domain requires specific steps: Adding a user with a secondary domain
  • If your domain is already linked to a Google Workspace account in Google, whether you created it or not, you won't be able to sign up again in Squarespace

Ultimately, it might be helpful to reach out to Squarespace support for this one because they'll be able to look at more of the current settings with you:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/requests/new#choose-topic