Bedford: Text and Color Overlay on Hover/Rollover of Gallery Grid Images

Hi! I'm trying to add a color overlay and text overlay on hover/rollover of the gallery grid image links on the homepage of my Bedford template portfolio site. I am familiar with custom CSS, and have been using it on my portfolio template, however I can't figure out how to make this happen.

Here is a link to my site: www.scoutstud.io

Here is an example of the hover effect I want to achieve: http://danielfuhrerdesign.com

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Bethany

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 44
  • Views 36.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bethany! It seems you figured out how to add the hover effect. Do you mind sharing with me the code you used to achieve this effect? I'm trying to do it on my website right now (using the marquee theme) with white captions and #f93a55 for the background of the square photos. I would ideally like the opacity around the same as on your website. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Zack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's how I did it, based off of Bethany's site's code.

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper:hover a.image-slide-anchor { opacity: .3; -webkit-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out; transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out; -o-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out; margin-bottom: 0px !important;}

#block-yui31722143136545125111910 .sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper .image-slide-title { display: block; position: absolute; top: auto; right: 0; bottom: 0; left: 0; padding: 1em; -webkit-transition: all .4s ease-out; -moz-transition: all .4s ease-out; -o-transition: all .4s ease-out; -ms-transition: all .4s ease-out; transition: all .4s ease-out; }

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper .image-slide-title { color: #3c77bc; opacity: 0; text-transform: uppercase;font-size: 34px; letter-spacing: 1px;margin-bottom: 240px;}

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper:hover .image-slide-title {color: #3c77bc; opacity:1; text-transform: uppercase;
vertical-align: middle;font-size: 35px; letter-spacing: 1px;margin-bottom: 240px}

You'll have to check your own HTML to find your version of "#block-yui31722143136545125111910".

I later added media queries to keep the text in the center of the image. If anyone can figure out a pure-css solution to that problem, I'd love to hear it.

Here's a link to my site: http://morganroselynch.com

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

If you want this treatment to work across all gallery grid blocks throughout your squarespace site, this is the solution I used. It creates a hover-effect for the image (the image changes from 100% opacity to 10% opacity upon rollover) and the titles for the images appear on hover (centered in the middle of the block). You can see a sample on my website here.

To use this code, simply go to "Design" then "Custom CSS" then drop in the following code:

----------

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper:hover a.image-slide-anchor {
opacity: .1;
-webkit-transition: opacity .3s ease-in-out;
transition: opacity .3s ease-in-out;
-moz-transition: opacity .3s ease-in-out;
-o-transition: opacity .3s ease-in-out;
-ms-transition: opacity .3s ease-in-out;
}

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper .image-slide-title {
display: block;
position: absolute;
top: 110px;
right: 0;
bottom: 0; 
left: 0;
padding: 2em;
-webkit-transition: all .3s ease-out;
-moz-transition: all .3s ease-out;
-o-transition: all .3s ease-out;
-ms-transition: all .3s ease-out; 
transition: all .3s ease-out;
margin-bottom: 0px !important; 
}

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper .image-slide-title {
color: #273845; 
opacity: 0; 
text-transform: uppercase; 
font-size: 18px; 
line-height: 125%;
letter-spacing: 2px; 
margin-bottom: 240px;
}

.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper:hover .image-slide-title {
color: #273845; 
opacity:1; 
vertical-align: middle; 
font-size: 18px; 
line-height: 125%;
letter-spacing: 2px; 
margin-bottom: 240px;
}

@media only screen and (max-width: 400px) {
.sqs-gallery-block-grid .slide .margin-wrapper:hover .image-slide-title { 
color: transparent; 
}
}

----------

The last bit of code hides the hover text for mobile screens since the grid gets too small to accommodate the text without it looking wonky. The opacity affect does kick in on the image when you scroll with your fingertip — I don't find this to be a big problem, but if anyone does have a recommendation for a fix on that, I'd appreciate it!

Lastly! One thing I could not figure out how to do (and it's probably simple, I'm just not very CSS-savvy), is — rather than change the opacity of the image to something lighter, instead, change the image to a solid color upon rollover/hover (like you see here).

Hmmm. There is one step I did not include in my instructions, and maybe that's the key.

I started by creating a hidden gallery page that I titled "Portfolio Gallery." There, I uploaded all the images I knew I'd eventually want on my main my portfolio page. Via that hidden "Portfolio Gallery" page, I added a click-through link to each image. To do this, you go in to edit your gallery page, hover over each image in the left-side dashboard, click the gear, then click the 'options' tab, then type in the click-through URL.

Then I created that portfolio page. I inserted a gallery block, which prompted me to choose "Upload Media" or "Use Existing Gallery." I chose "Use Existing Gallery" and then selected the "Portfolio Gallery" I had already prepared with click-through links.

To see this code in action, see Heart & Dash Portfolio.

Okay, so I decided to keep tinkering because I wasn't completely satisfied with the level of customization in the code I provided before. Below, I'm pasting code for another way to do it. This way does not include a gallery or image grid at all. Rather, it is code that will alter the way "on-hover" captions appear for individual images. So, if you want this code to work, create your own 'grid' by simply inserting multiple image blocks.

You'll insert this code by going to "Design" then "Custom CSS":

.image-caption-wrapper {
 text-align: center !important;
 top: 0 !important;
 position: relative;
 pointer-events: none !important;
}

&:hover,
&:focus {
 opacity: 1;
}

.image-caption {
 left: 50%;
 position: absolute;
 top: 50%;
 width: 100%;
 -webkit-transform: translate(-50%,-50%);
 -ms-transform: translate(-50%,-50%);
 transform: translate(-50%,-50%);
   }

.image-caption p {
 font-size: 18px !important;
 font-weight: semibold !important;
 color: #ea4e4c !important;
 line-height: 120% !important;
 letter-spacing: 2px !important;
 opacity: 1 !important;
}

.sqs-block.sqs-block-editable:not(.sqs-block-editing) .sqs-dd-invalid-handle {
 cursor: default;
 pointer-events: all !important;
}

.sqs-block-image .image-block-outer-wrapper.layout-caption-overlay .intrinsic .image-caption-wrapper .sqs-block-image .image-block-outer-wrapper.layout-caption-overlay-hover .intrinsic .image-caption-wrapper {
 background: #fddcce;
 opacity: .9;
}

The nice thing about this is that you can customize the color of the caption/type (I used #ea4e4c) that appears on hover and you can also customize the color of the background (I used #fddcce). You can customize those hex color codes for yourself.

The other nice thing about this as that the entire square is clickable. The code I provided yesterday did have an issue where only the upper half of the box was clickable.

For me, this is a total solution!

• 4 weeks later...

@HeartAndDash thank you so much for your support, I used your code and it worked perfectly. I changed a small detail (the number related to the opacity intensity) - although I do not understand about CSS my guess was correct and it worked haha ( as you can see in the gallery grid in this link: www.tiago-henriques.com/works )

I'm going to ask you a very silly question, I believe (I know nothing about coding): I noticed that in your code there were some keywords related to the titles' properties, such as color, etc. But there are no titles on the images in which the hover effect is applied once the code is added. Is there a way (maybe a standard code I can add to specific places and I just change the "title's name") I can make the title appear once you hover over the image?

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

• 2 weeks later...

@heartanddash - This was the exact trick I was looking for. I made a grid from the images and boom. What code would i need to add to reduce the white background padding in-between the images?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

@Storyboard @ghohendorf I might be too late, but I think I figured it out! I'm a novice with CSS, but the class at line 39 has some extra text that seemed to be breaking it.

Replace that whole class with this and it should fix it (I can't figure out how to post the code with line numbers, sorry!):

.sqs-block-image .image-block-outer-wrapper.layout-caption-overlay-hover .intrinsic .image-caption-wrapper {
  background: #fddcce;
  opacity: .9;
}

Archived