Error message when I try to authenticate my domain (mailerlite)

I've got a domain I purchased with Namecheap, website hosted on Squarespace. Google workspace for emails, and I've got a couple of email marketing services integrated too. 

Mailerlite recently asked me to verify my domain. I go through the process of adding custom DKIM and SPF records, and I get the following error message: 

Preset MX records already exist for this domain. These could have been created through Zoho Mail presets, email forwarding, or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add new MX records, first delete any existing MX records or email forwarding rules you set up.

I do have an active google worspace subscription: but I don't want to delete anything, I want both google workspace AND mailerlite to work!

Have emailed SS customer care again but have followed advice from first two attempts, but it keeps coming back to this problem.

Do I need to remove the google workspace presets (how? and replace them with what?)

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also have this issue. Our domain was purchased via squarespace. We need to add DNS records to meet our DKIM/DMARC requirements for mail deliverability. Where else would we add these records if not through the Squarespace DNS editor?

Trying to add CNAME and TXT records and we're getting this exact error about MX records ("Preset MX records already exist for this domain..") so it seems like something is wrong. I surely should be able to add these records? I don't want to delete the existing MX records because we need those for Google Workspace.

Got thru to customer support who says this is an issue they are aware of and working to fix. The solution is to delete your MX records, then add your custom records, then add your MX records back in. Trying it but not sure yet if this will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello any news on this? I currently have a similar problem and i'm scared if i delete and add max back in something bad could happena to our google workspace emails. We need to point our domain to our booking engine system with an A record and we get the same error message.

Hey @NumberNine - You can safely remove and then re-add the MX records without risk to your Google Workspace account. MX records ("mail exchange" records) are only used to connect the domain with the email provider's servers, allowing them to "communicate".

However, you might experience a little downtime after removing and re-adding the MX records while the records update. This means there could be a brief window where you're not able to send or receive emails. The downtime probably wouldn't last long since you'd be adding the same records, though, if it happens at all.

• 2 months later...