Jump to content

Squarespace domain showing on Google search instead of custom domain

Go to solution Solved by Sifat_SEOSpace,

Recommended Posts

Dear all,

Recently I made changes to Google Workspace and transferred Squarespace ownership between users. The robot.txt sitemap then updated itself to my squarespace site copper-terrier.squarespace.com, instead of the correct, custom domain www.ps-esports.com/sitemap.xml.

My custom domain was working fine and showing up correctly on Google for years before this happened.

Any ideas on how to remove the squqrespace domain in sitemap and robots.txt, so that my site appears correctly in Google search results?

Or could this be due to another problem that I'm not aware of?

Many thanks,
Michael

Link to comment
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Solution

Hi- @ps_michael

I understand your concern. Let me help you with this matter. Here are a couple of potential insights that might help you:

  • I checked the Squarespace official document and didn't find any related reason for domain changes (you can check it here).
  • Is your custom domain set up as the primary domain? If not, you can make your custom domain the primary domain (you can check this resource).
  • Did you make any changes to the DNS settings? This could trigger this issue.
  • Unfortunately, Squarespace does not permit us to edit sitemap and robots.txt files, so we cannot make any manual changes.

If you require further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Sadul Sifat.

SEOSpace Team

SEOSpace - The SEO Plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

seospace-logo.png

Link to comment

Thank you very much Sadul.

I have not set the custom domain as primary, and have done that just now. 

Not sure if a recent purchase of another domain under the same account triggered the issue.

Have not made any changes to the DNS setting. Other than reconnecting to Google Search Console.

The robots.txt was automatically updated and a statement was added at the bottom of the file by the system on February 1st, after changing the user and domain ownership among other settings (to have 2 domains under 2 separate accounts having 1 user each).

As with many subscription services these days the initial setup require us to be very precise and rigid, otherwise there will be trouble later on as we grow and make changes.

2024_robots_txt.png

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment


×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.