Thank god for squarespace

I've been tooling around with html/css since high school (I'm now in my late 30s) and because of this, I spent a great deal of time coding my own site. When I started my own photography business, I quickly dove into Wordpress because it appealed to the wannabe developer in me and I spent a good bit of time customizing it in a way I saw fit. This being said, in retrospect my coding was more than likely a big mess of spaghetti and while it ended up producing a really snappy looking site, a google page speed analysis ranking recently gave it a 28/100 (I was rank #35 for a very valuable keyword in my field and really wanted to climb higher) because at the end of the day it was inefficient and slow.

I finally bit the bullet, swallowed my pride, ditched wordpress/godaddy in favor of squarespace (because who's going to write more efficient and seo friendly code than a group of people who's whole lives are web development) and since then am fairly convinced its literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. In my life.

Since switching to squarespace my pagespeed insights flew up to around 90 or so and, more importantly, my rank is literally careening upwards. There was an immediate drop from #35 to #60 in my ranking, after google recognized an all new host/server/etc, but after the dust settled, it immediately placed me back in the mid-twenties and it just continues to go up.

As I write this, I'm now on the second page of SERPS for a super important keyword in my field (#18 or so) and from the very real momentum my site's experiencing, feel like I'll be on the first page by next week. And I haven't even really actively even started my seo campaign - so the sky's literally the limit. It just amazes me to think of what my content and site ranking are capable of when matched with a well-written page. 

Anyway. I realize this post is a bit gushing but I couldn't be happier at the moment with the switch. I'm a small business and don't have super complicated needs, and squarespace filled them and then some.