DNS CNAME records current data values are in red, all the A records report as "Record Found"...is that an issue?

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

Hello Fine Peeps!

My While it's NOT been fully 72 hours, and I still have a 'connection in progress' status to connect my 3rd party domain to my Squarespace site, I want to confirm the DNS setting look good. 

The column for Current Data for CNAME records is in red, and has a different value than the A records, that are in green, and say 'record found'.  You can see in the attached screenshot. I've blanked the IP addresses for the A records for security.

Check the DNS propagation, on whatsmydns.net, I see that the A records have mostly propagated around the world but none of the CNAME records have.

I want to make sure I've done this right, as if it's wrong, and I have to fix, than I am up to 6 days delay before go live for a time sensitive site 😞

Note: I use nearlyfreespeech.net to manage the domain name...which I've been doing for 10years (after a truly rotten experience with network solutions back in the day.)

Is there any way to lower my stress level, oh Squarespace sages?

Cheers,

Eugene

Screenshot 2023-09-28 224620.png

• Solution

Your CNAME records have extraneous info. They should be verify.squarespace.com and ext-cust.squarespace.com.

I'm unfamiliar with your domain host and how they do things but each has similar but slightly different ways of doing things. I'm thinking the way your CNAMEs came out you might need to add a period at the end of the SS domain names...

verify.squarespace.com.

ext-cust.squarespace.com.

The period may prevent auto adding of your domain name to the end of the CNAME records.

We aren't there with you so try to verify the domains before you leave their editor to see that the CNAMEs are correct.

Another tip. Each record may have a TTL (time to live) field. When editing records if you can lower the TTL you can more quickly turn around records changes if there are mistakes. Again this all depends on your domain host and how they do things. Rule of thumb I use is when the records are all good and working, use 86400 seconds for the TTL. Before working on the records change the TTL to 300 seconds.

You can learn more about DNS records, TTL, and such by using your favorite search engine.

Your domain host may provide specific details on how their DNS configuration system works.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.