Indexing issues for a website with multiple domains

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me with a dreaded SEO issue.

I have a website that uses a .com.au as it's primary domain but is also connected in Squarespace to a .com domain.

When you search Google for the .com.au domain it appears in the results as it should, however searching the .com domain is not appearing in any search results. I'm guessing Google has not indexed it because it's redirected to the .com.au domain.

I'm wondering if there is someone here who can explain (in simple terms haha) how to make google show a result for a search of the .com address?

Note: I'm aware that people can access the site if they type either url into the actual address bar but apparently there are some people that type full urls into google so I need to make sure they can access the site no matter which url they choose to search with.

I don't believe that Google is going to index your .com domain since it's just forwarding traffic to your .com.au primary domain, from Google's perspective there's no value in providing traffic to that secondary domain.

What are you hoping to get from indexing the .com domain?

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

18 hours ago, nat-realgooddesign said:

I'm wondering if there is someone here who can explain (in simple terms haha) how to make google show a result for a search of the .com address?

The only way for a search engine to index a domain is if that domain is actually serving a website from it.

A forwarded or redirected domain is not a real website.

Think of them like a letter traveling along its route from sender to recipient. There are stops along the way but the content of the letter are not revealed until the recipient reads the letter.

The addresses of the stops along the letters route don't matter. Only the destination is important.

The web has had, since its very earliest days, a similar mechanism to redirect from one domain to another. Only the final destination domain is important.

To index the content of two domains each would have to have  it's own site serving content at it's address. In a Squarespace context this would mean you'd have to have two websites hosted on SS.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, Ziggy said:

I don't believe that Google is going to index your .com domain since it's just forwarding traffic to your .com.au primary domain, from Google's perspective there's no value in providing traffic to that secondary domain.

What are you hoping to get from indexing the .com domain?

My client wants their website to appear in results if a user searches Google using the whole url (for either .com or .com.au versions).

The .com.au domain has definitely been indexed and appears when searched so I would have thought that it would also appear in results for searches of the .com domain seeing as the only difference in urls is the dot endings. But that's not the case.

Edited by nat-realgooddesign
spell error

No, it's unlikely to show, but hopefully anyone typing in the full domain name would just type it in the address bar and skip the search results and go straight to your website. That is often the best reason to have that second domain so that you get direct traffic even if the wrong TLD is used.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?