Get notified functionality when it's a digital downloadable product

Go to solution Solved by Christinesveen,

I'm soon launching a collection of digital downloadable products, and I want to use a Wishlist or "get notified when this digital product is available" but can't seem to figure out how to do this? If I create a digital download product - I don't get to save or publish this product unless I include a downloadable file. 

I tried using the "service" product option, but then I got stuck when I have to manually fulfill every order. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, Voliere said:

I'm soon launching a collection of digital downloadable products, and I want to use a Wishlist or "get notified when this digital product is available" but can't seem to figure out how to do this?

You cannot do this for digital products because, as they are digital, it is assumed they are always available. As a workaround, you can manually add a Newsletter Block on a layout page to collect details of visitors who are interested.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

16 minutes ago, Voliere said:

I actually just figured out a way that works by using the service product

Can you explain further - for the benefit of anyone reading this thread?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution

Certainly!

Initially, I created a service product, which currently is “out of stock”.

I made some adjustments to the text, changing it from "out of stock" to "Coming soon."

Additionally, I activated the Wishlist functionality, enabling individuals to subscribe to email notifications and receive updates.

As for the digital products (created as services) that are currently in stock, I created an automated email that immediately goes out to customers upon their purchase. This email contains a direct link to their file.

Did that make sense?

1 hour ago, Voliere said:

As for the digital products (created as services) that are currently in stock, I created an automated email that immediately goes out to customers upon their purchase. This email contains a direct link to their file.

Thanks for sharing your workaround for others. One thing to bear in mind is that your download link will remain live, so if someone shares the link online, anyone who clicks it will be able to download a copy of the asset (passwords can be shared in posts too).

The good thing about digital download products on Squarespace is that a different download link is generated for each sale, and each link expires 24 hours after the purchase.