Bulk Image Update via CSV Broken?

Go to solution Solved by Bitmvr,

Hello,

I currently have a client where we have existing products in their inventory that we initially imported without any images. I now have a placeholder image I want to apply to all images until the product images are provided. I'm having an issue bulk updating these products.

Here are the steps I've completed, in order.

1. I've uploaded the placeholder image
  2. Manually applied placeholder image to one of the products.
  3. I've exported the inventory to a CSV.
  4. I've updated each inventory line with the same product image URL.
  5. I've imported the newest inventory file that contains the image URL
  6. No errors occur during import and I am presented with information that all 31 products were updated.

When I view the inventory page, none of the inventory with the exception of the ones I've done manually are updated with the placeholder image. I've re-exported the data and verified the URLs are not present for the inventory. Based on the Bulk Import via CSV documentation, this functionality should work. Is there any way to report this broken functionality directly to SquareSpace?

Regards,

Jesse Riddle

Edited by Bitmvr
Typo / Clearer call to action.
7 minutes ago, Bitmvr said:

Is there any way to forward this information to the SquareSpace?

You can contact Squarespace Customer Care using this form

If you experience any difficulties contacting Squarespace, please read how to contact Squarespace.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 3 months later...

I had this exact problem. I needed to add temporary images for products I had already uploaded. Rather than going through hundreds of items, I wrote this bit of CSS to insert a background image that would always be there, but covered up once an image was assigned. Change the image URL to whatever works for your site.

figure.grid-image {
    background-image: url("/imageComingSoon.png");
    background-size: contain;
    background-position: center;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

• 11 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, Bitmvr said:

Wanted to provide an update for others who may end up here.

It is actually not possible to edit the image URLs in bulk once the products are created. Please see this section of the Editing Products in Bulk for the complete list of fields that cannot be edited in bulk via CSV

ooph... squarespace almost feels like its doing everything it can to make sure I neever use them to build a client a website again.