Help Please! I have no idea what I've done... but I'm getting the "Syntax Error on Line 1".

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

I am not a coder at all, but I googled how to add a custom font to squarespace, which I thought I did. But then it didn't work, so I deleted it... and now... I've totally ruined the whole page! It's a page that used custom code for a jobadder widget. 

Can anyone help me?

Not without being able to see your site or the first several lines of your code.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

The code on the page you posted is JavaScript. If you installed that in Design > Custom CSS then it will give you a syntax error on line 1. JavaScript is not CSS.

If you didn't install the code in Custom CSS, where did you install it?

I suspect you're going to want to install the code in a code block on a page where you want the jobs to show up. Create the code block, paste the code, and don't change any setting of the code block. Save.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I dont know whats happened. I haven't added any code to anything. 

I didn't build our site, we had an external dev do it. He's based in the US - and I'm hoping to fix my mistake without having to pay him!

So... I was trying to add a custom font to the page (a google search told me to add it via the custom files tab - I tried to add it - it didn't work... and then I deleted it).

Now I'm left with this ... ?

The page used to be a lovely jobs list page - a widget from jobadder... 

Have I confused you?

Have I confused you?

No. You may have clarified what has happened.

Please see Upload files (optional) (scroll to it, on the page, if it doesn't come up automatically). This is what you did to upload the font file.

Then see Using custom files (same deal scroll to it if needed, its just below the above). I think this is what you did which left an errant line on line one of Custom CSS.

The first line looks something like the following.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta ... c6c1eed3a38af/1684820920452/Alata-

Remove it. Be very careful removing it. Do not disturb the line starting with the following and below. If you do things will get worse. It probably is on line two.

h1, h2, h3 {

Let us know how it goes.

But unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem.

It fixed the syntax error on line 1! One issue at a time!

For the job code probably someone has turned on the display source toggle. Turn it off. Save.

Let us know how it goes.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 10.18.51 PM.png