Never give the customer what you are expected to give

Why Not Give the Customer What They Expect? Surprise Them Instead!

In the realm of business, it may be tempting to fulfill customer expectations by providing exactly what they anticipate. However, as an entrepreneur, there is immense value in surprising and delighting your customers with unexpected experiences. By going beyond their expectations, you can forge deeper connections, generate loyalty, and create memorable moments that set you apart from competitors.

Imagine a scenario where a customer orders a pizza delivery. Instead of receiving a standard, predictable pizza, they open the box to find a creatively shaped, gourmet pizza with unique toppings that they have never encountered before. This surprise element not only exceeds their expectations but also leaves a lasting impression. The customer is more likely to share their experience with others and become a repeat customer, purely based on the surprise factor.

Another example is a clothing retailer offering personalized styling sessions. Instead of simply assisting customers in finding outfits that match their preferences, the retailer surprises them by curating complete looks they would have never considered on their own. This unexpected twist elevates the shopping experience and leaves customers feeling valued and excited about their new wardrobe.

By embracing the element of surprise, entrepreneurs can tap into customers' emotions and create a sense of wonder and excitement. These experiences generate positive word-of-mouth, organically attracting new customers and enhancing brand reputation.

Surprising customers doesn't have to be limited to product offerings. Exceptional customer service can also be a powerful tool for leaving a lasting impression. Going the extra mile to provide personalized recommendations, unexpected perks, or even handwritten thank-you notes can leave customers feeling genuinely appreciated and valued.

In summary, breaking away from the predictable and surpassing customer expectations through surprises can significantly impact your business. By delighting customers with unique products, unexpected experiences, and exceptional service, you create memorable moments that foster loyalty, generate positive word-of-mouth, and set your brand apart. Embrace the opportunity to surprise and exceed expectations, and watch your business thrive.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do the same , I always send a free gift with all my website orders , if it's an engraved gift I will send a free engraved personalised scented charm that I make just for them, if it's a t shirt , hat or mug I will send a keyring with the same design engraving on the keyring. My customers love this , it makes it a more personal shopping experience even if we may be thousands of miles away from each other . Just yesterday I sold plant bulbs I will always add a few extra to what they purchase. 

Check out my website  Http://www.retrosheep.com

• 7 months later...

I have a Business degree and I agree and I don't agree. This idea can go sideways on you fast. If I ordered a pizza and got a pizza with different topping I would be very upset and never order again. What you should say is called under promise and over deliver.

They order a pizza, you tell them it will be delivered in 50 minutes. It arrives in 40 minutes. If you sent a free drink that sounds great too. But then the next time they order they will expect the free drink and be upset if they don't get it. However they most likely won't even notice the pizza arrived 10 minutes early. Each time they order you tell them longer than it will take it will arrive early but exactly the same amount of time early. The customer is happy, they tip more, the delivery drive gets a better tip, the driver is happy, you get more sales, and you are happy. It should always be a win-win. However, be careful you don't attract the complaining customer that wants free stuff.

For most people throwing in stickers is great. Most people love getting stickers. I put them on the wall in my garage. Where do you put stickers?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 5:57 PM, Alvreguera said:

Why Not Give the Customer What They Expect? Surprise Them Instead!

In the realm of business, it may be tempting to fulfill customer expectations by providing exactly what they anticipate. However, as an entrepreneur, there is immense value in surprising and delighting your customers with unexpected experiences. By going beyond their expectations, you can forge deeper connections, generate loyalty, and create memorable moments that set you apart from competitors.

Imagine a scenario where a customer orders a pizza delivery. Instead of receiving a standard, predictable pizza, they open the box to find a creatively shaped, gourmet pizza with unique toppings that they have never encountered before. This surprise element not only exceeds their expectations but also leaves a lasting impression. The customer is more likely to share their experience with others and become a repeat customer, purely based on the surprise factor.

Another example is a clothing retailer offering personalized styling sessions. Instead of simply assisting customers in finding outfits that match their preferences, the retailer surprises them by curating complete looks they would have never considered on their own. This unexpected twist elevates the shopping experience and leaves customers feeling valued and excited about their new wardrobe.

By embracing the element of surprise, entrepreneurs can tap into customers' emotions and create a sense of wonder and excitement. These experiences generate positive word-of-mouth, organically attracting new customers and enhancing brand reputation.

Surprising customers doesn't have to be limited to product offerings. Exceptional customer service can also be a powerful tool for leaving a lasting impression. Going the extra mile to provide personalized recommendations, unexpected perks, or even handwritten thank-you notes can leave customers feeling genuinely appreciated and valued.

In summary, breaking away from the predictable and surpassing customer expectations through surprises can significantly impact your business. By delighting customers with unique products, unexpected experiences, and exceptional service, you create memorable moments that foster loyalty, generate positive word-of-mouth, and set your brand apart. Embrace the opportunity to surprise and exceed expectations, and watch your business thrive.

Thank you ChatGPT

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.