Favicon not appearing on Google Search results

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello - the favicon of my site doesn't show up in Google Search results (see attached). I already followed this discussion and also define a favicon using code injection per Google's documentation -- (see code injection screenshot attached). I uploaded a png file to Design > Browser Icon, and it's a 96x96 pixel file. 

I'll be grateful for any suggestion!

The url of my favicon is https://www.hedder.com/favicon.ico, which will direct traffic to:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/62260e6f8b4b4c7cd6a30d8f/33130e09-63ec-4fc3-8c5b-a5079527fddc/android-chrome-96x96y.png?content-type=image%2Fpng

search.png

code injection.png

Edited by hedderhq
To add more information about what I have tried
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that this is old, but none of the solutions offered worked for me and I wanted to share my experience.

I contacted Squarespace's support on two separate occasions but neither of the two agents I spoke with could help with it either, and both blamed Google for it.

The point is that the actual path (URI) to the resource is required by Google for the image to show up in the search results. Support told me that they do not disclose this kind of information, so I set out on a quest to find it myself.

This is how I did it:

1. (on Chrome) Open the dev console (F12);
  2. Click on the three vertical dots on the bottom-left of the console to "Search..."
  3. Search for the term "favicon"
  4. You will find it someplace in the HTML, mine was line 10 but your mileage may vary: <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/62839a4f1318fc72022107b0/6dc4c692-1811-4d9a-9ced-1436a6d19390/favicon.ico?format=100w"/>

Once you find it, simply isolate the URI and then:

1. Go to the Squarespace editor
  2. Click on the cog icon beside your homepage -> Advanced -> and enter the code as suggested by @TC_Dave before me: <link rel="icon" href="/path/to/favicon.ico">

My guess is that Google does not like the query string used by Squarespace and rather needs the simple URI, but I am a music producer and not a web developer, so who knows...

Hi,

By now, I am clueless. I had already contacted Squarespace support, they couldn't help me (or referred me to Google support). Google Support does not exist on the subject. So I hope to get further with some good advice on here.

The following situation: no matter what favicon I upload (transparent or non-transparent, 48x48px or smaller/larger multiples) it doesn't show up in Google search. However, as soon as I change it, it shows up without problem at the top of the tab and also, if you have the page bookmarked. 

I have already uploaded the favicons with different names, waited a few weeks each time and also had the page reindexed several times via Google Search Console. Nothing happens. The search console also shows the default favicon from Squarespace.Screenshot.png.f38fb0ce40ad8fa9a6e6d7f8e59bc5e7.png

(German site)

I really hope that someone can help me.
Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My favicon is not appearing on Google search results. I have tried all the recommendations and followed all requirements by Squarespace and Google, and it still does not appear. Perhaps I should try injecting an HTML code but (1) I am unsure where/how to do that on Squarespace, and (2) apparently I need to upgrade my Squarespace in order to do that (please correct me if I am wrong). I do not want to upgrade because I have another website on another platform (Wordpress) and I do not have this favicon issue - I may switch to Wordpress if this does not resolve, but would appreciate any and all advice on this. Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 5.03.32 pm.png

Hi all,

I have a issue with my favicon which does not show in the google search, It has been a few weeks since publishing the website yet the image is still not showing up.

The favicon I uploaded is a png if that matters with transparent background

Any ideas on how make it appear?

Thank you!,

Ernest

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 10.24.41.png

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 10.24.31.png

Several important things to ensure favicons on a Squarespace-hosted site get rendered correctly in Google search:

1) Favicon must be a multiple of 48 pixels square (e.g. 48, 96, 144 pixels on a side) for Google to render it.  The Squarespace requirement of multiples of 16 pixels is needed only for Squarespace, and is inadequate for Google. See https://developers.google.com/search/docs/appearance/favicon-in-search

2) Favicon should be created in Paint such that its color palette can meet the rendering requirements. I recommend creating the image (see item 1) and zooming out to see how it will look at 16x16 px, the size it will actually appear on the browser tab, and at 32x32 px as it will appear in Google (may be scaled slightly smaller). When you think you are done, save the image as a .bmp with 8 bit depth (a favicon requirement of some browsers). Then exit Paint and open the .bmp file and inspect the image to make sure the colors are as you expect them, given the reduced color palette. If OK save the file as a .jpg.

3) Favicons are cached in the browser, which means that they don't get refreshed often if at all. To help, make your favicon a different filename than the last one you used. Set the new icon in Squarespace (Design->Browser Icon) to the .jpg file created in step2. Note Squarespace will create the .ico file and include the appropriate reference in your website html. Next, you should log out of Squarespace, clear the browser cache using the settings menu or similar, then load your website page. The new favicon should appear on the browser tab. You may need to fiddle with this several times.

4) You need to nudge Google to update its database of websites. See https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/ask-google-to-recrawl   For a big website I suggest this, since Squarespace automatically generates an XML sitemap in proper form: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/sitemaps/build-sitemap#addsitemap

This may take a few days to a few weeks to actually happen. 

Edited by FlyDresser
minor error fix
On 5/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, Mike_Sorrentino said:

I know that this is old, but none of the solutions offered worked for me and I wanted to share my experience.

I contacted Squarespace's support on two separate occasions but neither of the two agents I spoke with could help with it either, and both blamed Google for it.

The point is that the actual path (URI) to the resource is required by Google for the image to show up in the search results. Support told me that they do not disclose this kind of information, so I set out on a quest to find it myself.

This is how I did it:

2. Click on the three vertical dots on the bottom-left of the console to "Search..."
  4. You will find it someplace in the HTML, mine was line 10 but your mileage may vary: <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/62839a4f1318fc72022107b0/6dc4c692-1811-4d9a-9ced-1436a6d19390/favicon.ico?format=100w"/>

2. Click on the cog icon beside your homepage -> Advanced -> and enter the code as suggested by @TC_Dave before me: <link rel="icon" href="/path/to/favicon.ico">

My guess is that Google does not like the query string used by Squarespace and rather needs the simple URI, but I am a music producer and not a web developer, so who knows...

Thanks man!

OP here - I tried all methods and also contacted Squarespace support but there is still no solution to this.

I am 100% certain it's an issue with Squarespace and not Google because we have a separate sub-domain not built with Squarespace (we built it with custom code and hosted it differently)  and favicon appeared just fine in Google search (screenshots attached). Its a shame that Squarespace support kept saying its a problem with Google. I decided to just give up on this issue. 

favicon ok.png

no favicon.png

Same issue here as OP.

I have built a few other websites with other hosting services, and this is the first time I had such an issue of favicon not showing up on Google search results. I'm pretty sure it is an issue with Squarespace. 

Unfortunately, it is a deal breaker for me, and we will not use Squarespace anymore until this issue is resolved. 

Hi all,

When my Squarespace site was first indexed, the Favicon displayed in search results. It is no longer doing so and is just displaying the Squarespace cube Favicon. Does anyone have any guidance on how to deal with this issue? Generic Favicons or a lack thereof can affect CTRs. This is pretty frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

I have added a favicon and it shows up in my browser tab. I have also added a logo for my social image. However, when my sire shows up in a Google search, there's no logo... just a generic globe (see attached).

How do I get my logo to appear in the search results?

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 7.29.35 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, efranken said:

Same problem here

You’ve forgotten to tell us the site url 🙂

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@paul2009 O sorry, my bad! The URL is https://www.wandertowonder.nl.

The weird thing is that I have another website with squarespace (https://www.esmeefranken.com), which I must say is much older then the one above. But that one does show the favicon in Google and I've changed that file to a new one in the past 7/8 months I guess. Funny thing: that file doesn't meet the 48, 96 or 144 pixel rule (the image I used for that is 32 pixels long, I just checked). But it worked apparently.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, Mike_Sorrentino said:

This is how I did it:

Thank you so much for this!! It worked for me! 🙂

I followed these steps + I adjusted the png file to 144x144 (72 dpi). I hope this helps for others as well. (by isolating the link she means select + copy it and paste it in the code for header code injection).