Product dropdown options disappearing on shop page.

Hey guys,

I'm still setting up my shop and I'm running into problems with variants on my product pages.
I sell prints, with and without mattes. (For US people, a matte is called a mat over there, I think).
I have multiple print sizes, and multiple matte color options. 

I'd initially set up the variants so that if a customer selected (for example) a '13 x 18 cm print without matte', then the matte color dropdown selection would only show 'none'.
If customer selected '13 x 18 cm print matted for 18 x 24 cm frame', then the matte color dropdown selection would show 'white, black, light blue' etc.

However....once the print size option and matte color option have been selected, if customer then wants to go back and change either the print size or color options, some of the variants will no longer show in the dropdown menus.

For instance:
I select '13 x 18 cm print without matte', and 'none' for the matte color. If I then change my mind and decide that I want a matted print afterall, if I go back to the print size dropdown, none of the previous matted size options show up, only the unmatted print options.
Same applies the other way around; if I choose a matted print, and matte color, I can then no longer go back and change the print size option to an unmatted print as those unmatted options have disappeared and they will only show up again once the page is refreshed.

Super annoying, because customers should be able to go back and forth on options before adding to cart without having to refresh the whole page (and I don't want to have to add text telling them to do so).

The only way I've found around this is to include all variants in the options, even the ones I don't want to show, such as all matte color options showing up in the dropdown when an unmatted print is selected, instead of the dropdown only showing 'none'.
I think that kind of thing will just lead to order mistakes...

I hope this is clear, but here's the link to a product page so you can see what I mean, and these screenshots might help.
https://www.clairesloane.com/illustration-prints/p/wolf

Any ideas, genius people of the forum?
Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.06.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.39.00.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.26.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.56.png

Edited by MacDougall
  • Replies 1
  • Views 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

Looking for a code workaround for the following:

I'm still setting up my shop and I'm running into problems with variants on my product pages.
I sell prints, with and without mattes. (For US people, a matte is called a mat over there, I think).
I have multiple print sizes, and multiple matte color options. 

I'd initially set up the variants so that if a customer selected (for example) a '13 x 18 cm print without matte', then the matte color dropdown selection would only show 'none'.
If customer selected '13 x 18 cm print matted for 18 x 24 cm frame', then the matte color dropdown selection would show 'white, black, light blue' etc.

However....once the print size option and matte color option have been selected, if customer then wants to go back and change either the print size or color options, some of the variants will no longer show in the dropdown menus.

For instance:
I select '13 x 18 cm print without matte', and 'none' for the matte color. If I then change my mind and decide that I want a matted print after all, if I go back to the print size dropdown, none of the previous matted size options show up, only the unmatted print options.
The same applies the other way around; if I choose a matted print, and matte color, I can then no longer go back and change the print size option to an unmatted print as those unmatted options have disappeared and they will only show up again once the page is refreshed.

Super annoying, because customers should be able to go back and forth on options before adding to cart without having to refresh the whole page (and I don't want to have to add text telling them to do so).

The only way I've found around this is to include all variants in the shop options, even the ones I don't want to show, such as the matte color options showing up in the dropdown when an unmatted print is selected, instead of the dropdown only showing 'none'.
I think that kind of thing will just lead to order mistakes...

I hope this is clear, but here's the link to a product page so you can see what I mean, and these screenshots might help.
https://www.clairesloane.com/illustration-prints/p/wolf

Any ideas, genius people of the forum?
Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.06.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.26.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.32.58.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 17.39.00.png