Duplicate "Contribution" Section in Donation Form for Mac / Safari / Apple Pay Users

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi all,

I'm helping a client build a custom donation form which allows for Apple Pay as a payment method, and I noticed that when a Mac/Safari user clicks the donate button, they’re first asked for a dollar amount in a section titled "Contribution," and whether they want to use Apple Pay (left side of attached screenshot). But then once the donor chooses a payment method, they’re asked about the dollar amount a second time in a "Your Contribution" section (right side).

When I log in with a PC, I'm not given the Apple Pay option so I don't see this duplicate, but I wonder if anyone else has encountered this? I have the sense that Squarespace is touchy about letting users modify the checkout/donation process, but I'm curious if there's any way to remove the duplicate "contribution" section which Mac users see.

Thanks in advance,

Prescott

Squarespace Apple Pay Duplicate Donation Section - May 2023.png

• Solution

You cannot make any changes to the Squarespace checkout page as this page cannot be customised or altered. This limitation is due to the platform's design and structure, which aims to maintain a consistent and secure checkout experience for all users. Squarespace prioritise security, reliability, and ease of use, and this restricts the customisation that is possible in critical areas like the checkout.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for context

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks, Paul!

I know Squarespace is touchy about letting users modify the checkout/donation process. It's unfortunate, though, that the same exact question appears twice during the checkout process for Apple users. I assured my client that most donors won't notice it, but it adds an unnecessary extra click to the donation process and when, as a designer, my name is in the footer, I suspect those who do notice will wonder why I designed the checkout process this way.

It's small, but it's bad UX and I hope Squarespace fixes it. 

26 minutes ago, HeyItsPrescott said:

it's bad UX and I hope Squarespace fixes it. 

I do encourage you to report this issue (and any other issues that you discover!) through Squarespace Customer Care so that they can report it to the relevant team. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.