Site header to navigate on single page website

Hello all,

I am getting frustrated.  I have a single page website and I would like the main navigation to list the different sections.  Instead of just having "Home" I would like the "Music", "Contact etc.

I can only find a way to create a new page and to add the content there, but I don't want a new page I would just like the header links to go directly to the section lower on the page.

If anyone can guide me it would greatly appreciated, I am very new to this.

Many thanks

Sam

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand you're frustrated. It's not easy when you're just starting. Unfortunately, although it may seem simple to you, there's actually not a super-easy way to do what you want. There's no toggle to remove or replace the navigation bar (and there are good technical and SEO reasons why you generally wouldn't want to).

In this case, if I understand correctly, you need some CSS. For example, pasting the following into Design>Custom CSS will suppress the navigation menu on your page:

.header-nav {
    visibility: hidden;
}

You also have to understand that desktop and mobile views are not the same. If you also want to suppress the navigation menu on both desktop and mobile views, use this snippet instead:

.header-nav, .burger-box {
    visibility: hidden;
}

You could then style your own links with a text box, but note that it would not be inside the header. If you have a logo, for example, they wouldn't line up. There are ways to suppress the entire header, and ways to add independent links to the header, but again, you're looking at more CSS. A Google search might be your friend here.

As for links to sections, those are called anchors, and you will again need code. There are some guides online if you search for using anchors with Squarespace.

(Finally, just for the future, it's often difficult to answer questions in the abstract. You work with your site, so you know exactly what you mean, but the rest of us have never seen it, so when asking for guidance, it's very helpful to tell us what version of Squarespace you are on; if you are using a template, which one; and to provide a link to your site with the password if it's not live yet.)

Edited by qosmic
  • 7 months later...

Observation and question: I've been searching everywhere in an effort to rectify the same situation. Working 7.1 and when I initially got started all wanted was to do "coming soon" page so did not choose much for what I know would end up being my nav bar. I have created links to the pages since for what I am creating but the nav links do not flow to each page as it would if it were in a proper header. I have spend hours combing the web and contacting support to no avail. From what I gather, there is absolutely no way to create a nav bar in the header after the fact in 7.1 unless you're coding. sound about right? https://www.boostpb.com 

Appreciate any information before I scrap it and start over. Cheers!