Coding needed to make it so you have to click on the play button to play a video instead of anywhere on the screen

I'm working out of the Carson template which automatically adds a play button over the video when you add a gallery page, which is great, however the only problem is that you can click anywhere over the video to play it which means you can't click on the linked text I have in the video descriptions. As I've posted this in the forum looking for help with squarespace settings, I now realize it needs custom coding.  I am willing to pay for this and just looking for someone who could do it, or for a recommendation of someone who is great at this kind of stuff.

It would be great if you had options to click on both the video to watch the trailer, or the link to watch the entire film which sends you to a different page like Peacock. I don't really want to embed Peacock or Kanopy links to watch the full film, since the reality is that people will likely only watch a trailer (at best). Attached is an example. Squarespace advised what I already knew, that you have to place the text below the video, which I don't dig aesthetically and don't want to drastically modify my website to accommodate their shortcomings. So I'm posting this on the coding page of the forum, since I assume that's what it will take. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 4.31.26 PM.png

• Replies 6
  • Views 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How deep are you into designing this site? You can accomplish what you're asking without code in Squarespace 7.1. There's no tool to migrate, so you would have to reassemble everything, but assuming this is all you need help with, you wouldn't have to pay anyone for custom code that might break the next time Squarespace makes an update. If you paid annually, Squarespace will typically credit you the remaining balance on the prior subscription if you write to them with the link to the new site once it is paid for and live.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038270572-Moving-from-Squarespace-version-7-0-to-version-7-1-checklist?platform=v6&websiteId=625a1060657f0a5490b3374b

I've spent three weeks designing the site, which is why I'm really avoiding going back into 7.1 for a redesign. . .which isn't even clear to me when selecting sites (7.0 vs 7.1 designs) and is also a bummer they even offer 7.0 designs if there's so many bugs within them. So for now, I'm choosing to either live with the limitations or figure out a coding solution since as you've pointed out, there's no tool to migrate so it's a huge hassle to rebuild the site fro scratch every time, especially with the number of assets I have. Not sure why they're offering broken fonts and templates? Would love a website design service where they've tested this stuff out and are able to point out the limitations on a website before you even start designing. 

Hey @AndyB, since it mentions you're a squarespace expert, I'm wondering if I could hire you or if you could make any recommendations for who I can hire that could help with this issue, as well as some of these: https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/241554-looking-to-hire-someone-to-fix-the-following-mobile-only-issues/ . . .some of which I'm already working on, such as mobile legibility of video descriptions, as I'm shortening everything significantly, and I moved a page to the hamburger icon so you can see it. With that said, it still looks like a dumpster fire on mobile and isn't close to being the bottom left as they insist it will be when you make the font smaller. So I think I'd need some assistance in all four of these areas still. Let me know if you have an recos. Thanks for the initial reply as well!