Jump to content

Photo description displayed in lightbox under photo in photo gallery section

Go to solution Solved by nowicluk,

Recommended Posts

On 4/18/2023 at 1:19 PM, nowicluk said:

Hi there, I am trying to implement photo descriptions in the lightbox under each photo only (website wide) instead of under the photo in the gallery view. I have reviewed a few discussions here but none work. Can anyone help?

https://octahedron-tiger-52rc.squarespace.com/afghanistan-up-close

Password: tlc2022

 

Can you enable photo lightbox? I can't click image to open lightbox here.

Also, if you use Gallery Section, you can follow this

https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/151777-gallery-caption-workarounds-for-71-round-two

Edited by tuanphan

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, tuanphan said:

Can you enable photo lightbox? I can't click image to open lightbox here.

Also, if you use Gallery Section, you can follow this

https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/151777-gallery-caption-workarounds-for-71-round-two

When you follow the link https://octahedron-tiger-52rc.squarespace.com/afghanistan-up-close you see the first photo which has lightbox activated. The link to the discussion which you sent does not work for me unfortunately. 

Link to comment
On 5/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, nowicluk said:

When you follow the link https://octahedron-tiger-52rc.squarespace.com/afghanistan-up-close you see the first photo which has lightbox activated. The link to the discussion which you sent does not work for me unfortunately. 

Which photo? I tried clicking Banner Image, Features Gallery, but no lightbox

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Link to comment

Is this the one messed up? I saw 2 caption in the lightbox

 

Screenshot_20230506_191929_Samsung Internet.png

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

 

Link to comment

Thanks I saw the page, I also used snippet from @tuanphan to create a preview on your site and it work perfectly, so you can see it here

nit: go to Settings - Advanced - Code injection and paste the whole snippet into Header 

FYI, the preview link for your site with the customisation

chrome-capture-2023-4-7.gif

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

 

Link to comment

nit: I you don't mind, I also tested your site against my latest (beta) plugin, though it will require extras snippet to hide the caption in gallery too, which is handy

 

chrome-capture-2023-4-7 (3).gif

Edited by Beyondspace

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

 

Link to comment

@Beyondspace thank you heaps. The code worked. Would you be able to help me adapt it? Below are screenshots of the desktop and mobile view. I would need the text box to be under the photo and not cover it. I tried adapting the code but when I position it properly, the text gets cut off, especially on mobile.

 

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
function createNodeCaption(textContent){
	var divElement = document.createElement("div");
	var pElement = document.createElement("p");
	pElement.innerHTML = textContent;
	divElement.classList.add("style-gallery-lightbox-text");
	divElement.appendChild(pElement);
	return divElement;
}
$( document ).ready(function() {
    var itemGallery = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-grid-item');
	var itemGalleryLightBox = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item');
	var countGalleryItem = itemGallery.length;

	for(var i = 0; i < countGalleryItem; i++){
		if(itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p').length != 0){
			var text = itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p')[0].textContent;
			var itemNeedCaption = itemGalleryLightBox[i].getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item-src')[0];
			itemNeedCaption.appendChild(createNodeCaption(text));
		}
	}
});

</script>
<style>
  figcaption.gallery-caption.gallery-caption-grid-simple {
    display: none;
}
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    padding: 10px 0px 25px 0px;
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    top: 90%;
    width: 100%;
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);
    font-size: .3em
    text-align: left;
}

.style-gallery-lightbox-text p {
    width: 90%;
    padding: 10px 15px;
    margin: auto;
    color: white;
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
}
  @media screen and (max-width:767px) {
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    top: 70%;
}
}
</style>
Link to comment

I don't think the current snippet can do that because the image's width is dynamic to make sure it is responsive

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

 

Link to comment
  • Solution
3 hours ago, nowicluk said:

@Beyondspace thank you heaps. The code worked. Would you be able to help me adapt it? Below are screenshots of the desktop and mobile view. I would need the text box to be under the photo and not cover it. I tried adapting the code but when I position it properly, the text gets cut off, especially on mobile.

 

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
function createNodeCaption(textContent){
	var divElement = document.createElement("div");
	var pElement = document.createElement("p");
	pElement.innerHTML = textContent;
	divElement.classList.add("style-gallery-lightbox-text");
	divElement.appendChild(pElement);
	return divElement;
}
$( document ).ready(function() {
    var itemGallery = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-grid-item');
	var itemGalleryLightBox = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item');
	var countGalleryItem = itemGallery.length;

	for(var i = 0; i < countGalleryItem; i++){
		if(itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p').length != 0){
			var text = itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p')[0].textContent;
			var itemNeedCaption = itemGalleryLightBox[i].getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item-src')[0];
			itemNeedCaption.appendChild(createNodeCaption(text));
		}
	}
});

</script>
<style>
  figcaption.gallery-caption.gallery-caption-grid-simple {
    display: none;
}
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    padding: 10px 0px 25px 0px;
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    top: 90%;
    width: 100%;
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);
    font-size: .3em
    text-align: left;
}

.style-gallery-lightbox-text p {
    width: 90%;
    padding: 10px 15px;
    margin: auto;
    color: white;
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
}
  @media screen and (max-width:767px) {
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    top: 70%;
}
}
</style>

Thank you. I coded it myself.

Edited by nowicluk
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.