SEO tool warns compressed js is unminified

Go to solution Solved by Inspirerd,

Site URL: https://www.TwelveAndTwentyEight.com

Hello All - Our Digital Marketing Team told us that our home page size is approx 7 MB which is not good for SEO and needs to be reduced if possible. Below is the breakup of elements contributing to that size from a Chrome Extension called Page Inspector. As you can see JS, CSS is contributing approzx 4 MB to the page size. Is there a way to reduce it by some squarespace settings? Isn't Squarespace optimizing code JS, HTML, CSS on it's own- same way it optimizes image sizes? As per https://www.directom.com/minify-javascript-css-warnings/ Squarespace doesn't optimize code but I am posting here to confirm/check with you all. As a Backup option, I have connected my site to CloudFlare (10 minutes ago) with a hope that it may help in the desired outcome. 

0?ui=2&ik=e242dc32a9&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1679005048629249487&th=174d06322ba245cf&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_bX6da3jqHI1lhQo7WSsKSy5JM7PzXlxs4exPo_f-mEYWHIhlR75n4suUwKFWzU0P5BMPhnJEuvTb4Sn2zxR968qicf0SPpuIDajmVjuRcZfBYyFhPjOeDjGs&disp=emb

Co-founder, Twelve and Twenty Eight

Boutique Branding + Graphic Design Studio

www.twelveandtwentyeight.com

• Replies 14
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ridhasekhri said:

@tuanphan Thanks for your inputs! I have connected our site to CloudFlare but was wondering why isn't Squarespace minifying code - like it does images I think.

Minify code often causes many unwanted problems. It is very easy to damage the CSS resulting in a broken template.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did purchase Cloudflare, but they are unable to minify any items that include "min" in the name (which seems to be around 60 files) like https://assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/cldr-resource-pack-19f316c82441424835c5a-min.en-US.js

Curious why Squarespace doesn't minify these universal scripts.

Dominic Gadoury (He, Him)
Director of Development and Operations
Lincoln Square Psychotherapy, PLLC
330 West 58th Street, Suite 314
New York, NY 10019
Fax: 917-456-0339
Office: 646-370-4571
Mobile: 347-933-0313
dominic@lsp.nyc

• 1 year later...

This is a Squarespace issue that they should be addressing - I see it on most Squarespace websites, unfortunately.

As I mentioned on your other post @simon.stjohn - focus on high-quality backlinks, content and keyword research and these things won't really matter.

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Solution

Hey @Brendt

I was worrying about this same issue when I set up SEMRush for my website. But as I realized when opening the file, it is minified. Not sure why SEMRush thinks it is unminified, but I wouldn't let it worry you too much. I actually ended up turning off that issue in SEMRush because I knew Squarespace handled minifying for me. Tools like SEMRush are there to help us spot potential issues, we shouldn't sweat it if it misdiagnoses a problem.

Daniel Rodrigues | Excito LLC
Squarespace Web Design for Photographers & Creatives
🌐 https://www.excitollc.com/ | ✉ Contact Me: daniel@excitollc.com
💡 Squarespace Enthusiast | 📖 Squarespace Design Blog for Photographers
🤝 Always happy to help and collaborate! Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I've run my website through Semrush, and it says pretty much all pages on my website have unminified Javascript and CSS files, which is affecting loading time.

Can anyone tell me how I can minify them, or increase my website speed? Another website told me my speed is within acceptable siza parameters, but I wonder if the 3-4 second load time for certain pages is unacceptable if I want to keep customers on my website.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, salamexpert said:

In Squarespace, we can minify JavaScript and CSS files. If we can, then how? Does Squarespace provide a feature that allows us to minify Unminify files?

SS provides no features to minify or unminify code.

Any code that SS provides to run your site, if unminified, can not be minified by you.

Any custom code you install on your site you can of course minify. You would have to find and use your own tools/processes to accomplish this task.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.