Image Data Importing Needs to be Repaired

"Image Data Importing" is a feature you can select in the Advanced section of Settings. It's a very important feature that can save a lot of time by not having to manually enter Captions or Descriptions for images. This, for photographer galleries, is very important and a feature photographers will use extensively. While it's right there in the Advanced menu, it doesn't work and hasn't worked since November 2021. Support requests have been entered many times but this feature they offer has not been fixed. Not having this feature is definitely a deterrent to photographers or paint artists from using galleries in Squarespace for their websites.

This club is in a unique position to show the support staff how important this is for us. If you are adding titles or descriptions to your image file metadata in Lightroom, for example, you should not need to add them manually again in your gallery on Squarespace. But we need enough people to request this repair from support so they get the message this is important for us. So please help . Thank you!!

Here is another thread about the broken metadata importing function. It has also been discussed in other ones as well.

I hope a thread here might make the support team pay more attention to this issue. Their responses in the past have been boiler-plate non-helpful about actually fixing the problem. 

Every time I receive a promotional email touting something new I think "great, how about dealing with the broken things first".

Edited by CooperWhite
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I think we take the matter into our hands, I think there is a free javascript library that can help us to parse the metadata out of the image

I downloaded an image from the OP website: https://www.photojournalism.org/, as you can view it here

https://mutiny.cz/exifr/

As it turns out Squarespace does preserve that metadata in the image, so I can see if we can parse those data into gallery blocks/sections, that would reduce lots of labor work in the photographer's process

image.thumb.png.19f6704a62c3d8c7bf5288d387e715f8.png

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

I came across at another website that has image with metadata 

https://www.whitprint.com/catalog/emerald-print-exchange-2020

and picked one of their image

image.thumb.png.f9a8ff4947fb146f28193669951e3a93.png

I can use the common attribute between those 2 websites: ObjectName and Caption for the metadata extraction

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.