Moving blogs from old squarespace to squarespace 7.1

I am in the process of moving everything to 7.1 and I can't seem to move the blogs from one Squarespace site to the new version. Is there a way to do this without using a third-party plug-in? Also, will my rankings on google for the blog posts drop at any point?

This is a guide to help, but bear in mind there is not built in tool to move a blog from 7.0 to 7.1, but there are workarounds to accomplish what you want. 

https://www.bluehillsdigital.com/articles/transfer-squarespace-7-71/ another guide has this to say about moving blog posts:

JOURNAL

The most difficult part of switching from 7.0 to 7.1. is transferring your individual articles and posts, especially if you have a lot of posts on your current blog. We recommend to break down the tasks at hand at several intervals and optimize your process as much as possible. 

Start with the oldest article from your 7.0 site. Create a new article in your 7.1 site’s Journal, add the title, copy/paste the text and images, add categories and tags, image thumbnail, excerpt, and URL. Make sure the slug is the same as on your current 7.0 site. Hit “Publish the post”. Go through the same steps for each post, finishing with your most recent post. Finalize the whole sequence, by going into each post and adjusting the publishing date, to ensure it matches what you have on your 7.0 site. If you decided to remove any of the posts, you’ll skip them altogether. When you get to the stage of redirects you will need to refer to your Excel document to set redirects for links that do not exist on your site any longer. 

https://squaremuse.com/blog/how-to-switch-from-squarespace-70-to-71-version

Edited by derricksrandomviews
19 hours ago, MCI said:

I can't seem to move the blogs from one Squarespace site to the new version. Is there a way to do this without using a third-party plug-in?

At this time, there isn't a built in feature to allow you to move a blog from one Squarespace site to another.

This means that if you don't want to create the posts again manually, you'll need to either purchase the Tools PRO Chrome extension or book an expert to migrate the blog for you.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

15 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

This is a guide to help, but bear in mind there is not built in tool to move a blog from 7.0 to 7.1, but there are workarounds to accomplish what you want. 

https://www.bluehillsdigital.com/articles/transfer-squarespace-7-71/ another guide has this to say about moving blog posts:

JOURNAL

The most difficult part of switching from 7.0 to 7.1. is transferring your individual articles and posts, especially if you have a lot of posts on your current blog. We recommend to break down the tasks at hand at several intervals and optimize your process as much as possible. 

Start with the oldest article from your 7.0 site. Create a new article in your 7.1 site’s Journal, add the title, copy/paste the text and images, add categories and tags, image thumbnail, excerpt, and URL. Make sure the slug is the same as on your current 7.0 site. Hit “Publish the post”. Go through the same steps for each post, finishing with your most recent post. Finalize the whole sequence, by going into each post and adjusting the publishing date, to ensure it matches what you have on your 7.0 site. If you decided to remove any of the posts, you’ll skip them altogether. When you get to the stage of redirects you will need to refer to your Excel document to set redirects for links that do not exist on your site any longer. 

https://squaremuse.com/blog/how-to-switch-from-squarespace-70-to-71-version

Thank you! This was really helpful! One more thing - do you know if this will mess up or change the performance of the blogs? For example, if one of my blogs shows great traction and ranks high on 7.0 will it change or drop once I essentially publish a new one manually to 7.1? 

• 1 month later...

One more thing, do you think it is best to post the date from when the original blog was created on the previous 7.0 website version for example 2016 or should I use the current dates today as I publish? I'm curious to know if the longer the blog was up for; whether or not that affects how well it performs in terms of search or if it is best that the blog is more recent?